Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
With the NHL roster freeze on during the Olympics, Andrew MacDonald will remain as a member of the New York Islanders for the next two weeks. But for how much longer remains a source for discussion.
The 27-year-old defenseman is in his sixth season with the Islanders – the last four have been on a full-time basis – and has four goals and 24 points in 60 games in 2013-14. But his time with that franchise appears to be nearing an end, especially after he recently declined a four-year, $16 million contract offer from the Islanders.
A report came out in January stating MacDonald wants $5 million per season. MacDonald is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $550,000 a season. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent. So, you can see how the trade talk would begin circulating.
This part of the business isn’t lost on MacDonald, even during this break in the NHL schedule.
“It’s not exactly what you want to be going through,” MacDonald told Newsday Long Island. “I’m sure it’ll cross my mind during the break, but that’s time to get away from it all and, when I’m back, it’s back to business, no matter what happens.
“I’m an Islander and this is where I want to be. That’s all you can think for now.”
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)