Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
With the NHL roster freeze on during the Olympics, Andrew MacDonald will remain as a member of the New York Islanders for the next two weeks. But for how much longer remains a source for discussion.
The 27-year-old defenseman is in his sixth season with the Islanders – the last four have been on a full-time basis – and has four goals and 24 points in 60 games in 2013-14. But his time with that franchise appears to be nearing an end, especially after he recently declined a four-year, $16 million contract offer from the Islanders.
A report came out in January stating MacDonald wants $5 million per season. MacDonald is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $550,000 a season. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent. So, you can see how the trade talk would begin circulating.
This part of the business isn’t lost on MacDonald, even during this break in the NHL schedule.
“It’s not exactly what you want to be going through,” MacDonald told Newsday Long Island. “I’m sure it’ll cross my mind during the break, but that’s time to get away from it all and, when I’m back, it’s back to business, no matter what happens.
“I’m an Islander and this is where I want to be. That’s all you can think for now.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)