Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
With the NHL roster freeze on during the Olympics, Andrew MacDonald will remain as a member of the New York Islanders for the next two weeks. But for how much longer remains a source for discussion.
The 27-year-old defenseman is in his sixth season with the Islanders – the last four have been on a full-time basis – and has four goals and 24 points in 60 games in 2013-14. But his time with that franchise appears to be nearing an end, especially after he recently declined a four-year, $16 million contract offer from the Islanders.
A report came out in January stating MacDonald wants $5 million per season. MacDonald is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $550,000 a season. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent. So, you can see how the trade talk would begin circulating.
This part of the business isn’t lost on MacDonald, even during this break in the NHL schedule.
“It’s not exactly what you want to be going through,” MacDonald told Newsday Long Island. “I’m sure it’ll cross my mind during the break, but that’s time to get away from it all and, when I’m back, it’s back to business, no matter what happens.
“I’m an Islander and this is where I want to be. That’s all you can think for now.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)