Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
With the NHL roster freeze on during the Olympics, Andrew MacDonald will remain as a member of the New York Islanders for the next two weeks. But for how much longer remains a source for discussion.
The 27-year-old defenseman is in his sixth season with the Islanders – the last four have been on a full-time basis – and has four goals and 24 points in 60 games in 2013-14. But his time with that franchise appears to be nearing an end, especially after he recently declined a four-year, $16 million contract offer from the Islanders.
A report came out in January stating MacDonald wants $5 million per season. MacDonald is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $550,000 a season. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent. So, you can see how the trade talk would begin circulating.
This part of the business isn’t lost on MacDonald, even during this break in the NHL schedule.
“It’s not exactly what you want to be going through,” MacDonald told Newsday Long Island. “I’m sure it’ll cross my mind during the break, but that’s time to get away from it all and, when I’m back, it’s back to business, no matter what happens.
“I’m an Islander and this is where I want to be. That’s all you can think for now.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)