Feb 10, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Team Canada goalie Roberto Luongo is hoping his trip to Sochi is more successful than his Vancouver Canucks went into the Olympic break.
If it’s not, his trip to Sochi has been an absolute disaster.
“It’s been a rough couple of weeks, myself included,” said Luongo. “Obviously, I want to be better and help the guys get some wins and some points. It’s good the change of scenery for two weeks, and have a different approach, and maybe get back in a couple of weeks and feel better about ourselves.”
The Canucks entered the break on a seven-game losing streak. Five of those losses were Luongo starts, in which he allowed 17 goals on 142 shots, for an unenviable save percentage of .880.
Luongo spent much of today’s practice at the Bolshoy Ice Dome trying to get his bearings on the bigger international ice.
“It is an adjustment,” he said. “I felt it today right away with the angles and all that kind of stuff so it’s good that we have three or four days of practice before we have to play any games.”
Related: Let the Luongo-or-Price debate begin
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 10
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 6
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 25
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)