Feb 10, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Team Canada goalie Roberto Luongo is hoping his trip to Sochi is more successful than his Vancouver Canucks went into the Olympic break.
If it’s not, his trip to Sochi has been an absolute disaster.
“It’s been a rough couple of weeks, myself included,” said Luongo. “Obviously, I want to be better and help the guys get some wins and some points. It’s good the change of scenery for two weeks, and have a different approach, and maybe get back in a couple of weeks and feel better about ourselves.”
The Canucks entered the break on a seven-game losing streak. Five of those losses were Luongo starts, in which he allowed 17 goals on 142 shots, for an unenviable save percentage of .880.
Luongo spent much of today’s practice at the Bolshoy Ice Dome trying to get his bearings on the bigger international ice.
“It is an adjustment,” he said. “I felt it today right away with the angles and all that kind of stuff so it’s good that we have three or four days of practice before we have to play any games.”
Related: Let the Luongo-or-Price debate begin
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)