Feb 10, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Team Canada goalie Roberto Luongo is hoping his trip to Sochi is more successful than his Vancouver Canucks went into the Olympic break.
If it’s not, his trip to Sochi has been an absolute disaster.
“It’s been a rough couple of weeks, myself included,” said Luongo. “Obviously, I want to be better and help the guys get some wins and some points. It’s good the change of scenery for two weeks, and have a different approach, and maybe get back in a couple of weeks and feel better about ourselves.”
The Canucks entered the break on a seven-game losing streak. Five of those losses were Luongo starts, in which he allowed 17 goals on 142 shots, for an unenviable save percentage of .880.
Luongo spent much of today’s practice at the Bolshoy Ice Dome trying to get his bearings on the bigger international ice.
“It is an adjustment,” he said. “I felt it today right away with the angles and all that kind of stuff so it’s good that we have three or four days of practice before we have to play any games.”
Related: Let the Luongo-or-Price debate begin
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (76)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)