Feb 10, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Team Canada goalie Roberto Luongo is hoping his trip to Sochi is more successful than his Vancouver Canucks went into the Olympic break.
If it’s not, his trip to Sochi has been an absolute disaster.
“It’s been a rough couple of weeks, myself included,” said Luongo. “Obviously, I want to be better and help the guys get some wins and some points. It’s good the change of scenery for two weeks, and have a different approach, and maybe get back in a couple of weeks and feel better about ourselves.”
The Canucks entered the break on a seven-game losing streak. Five of those losses were Luongo starts, in which he allowed 17 goals on 142 shots, for an unenviable save percentage of .880.
Luongo spent much of today’s practice at the Bolshoy Ice Dome trying to get his bearings on the bigger international ice.
“It is an adjustment,” he said. “I felt it today right away with the angles and all that kind of stuff so it’s good that we have three or four days of practice before we have to play any games.”
Related: Let the Luongo-or-Price debate begin
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 0
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 37
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)