Feb 10, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Some NHL players are getting a rest with this Olympic break. And some, like Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche, aren’t because, well, they’re competing in the Olympics.
Duchene, the 23-year-old center and third overall draft selection for Colorado in 2009, was selected to Canada’s men’s Olympic team on Jan. 7. The players have arrived in Sochi, and have taken to the ice for practice, with Canada opening its tournament on Thursday.
The workload of playing an extra set of games at the highest possible level in international hockey is something Duchene is looking forward to, more than any break.
“I think it’ll be really good for the guys that go over there, because the load that you carry on those teams isn’t as big as the load we carry on these teams,” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“Mentally it’ll be more of a tiring thing than physically, but for me, I’m really happy, because I hate taking time off and getting out of my rhythm. And being around that kind of high-level hockey, I think it’s really going to help me down the stretch with us.”
The Avalanche are third in the Central Division with 37 wins and 79 points, only five back of both the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)