Feb 10, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Some NHL players are getting a rest with this Olympic break. And some, like Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche, aren’t because, well, they’re competing in the Olympics.
Duchene, the 23-year-old center and third overall draft selection for Colorado in 2009, was selected to Canada’s men’s Olympic team on Jan. 7. The players have arrived in Sochi, and have taken to the ice for practice, with Canada opening its tournament on Thursday.
The workload of playing an extra set of games at the highest possible level in international hockey is something Duchene is looking forward to, more than any break.
“I think it’ll be really good for the guys that go over there, because the load that you carry on those teams isn’t as big as the load we carry on these teams,” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“Mentally it’ll be more of a tiring thing than physically, but for me, I’m really happy, because I hate taking time off and getting out of my rhythm. And being around that kind of high-level hockey, I think it’s really going to help me down the stretch with us.”
The Avalanche are third in the Central Division with 37 wins and 79 points, only five back of both the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)