Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
When New York Islanders GM Garth Snow made the decision not to let defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky play in the Olympics despite the fact that he returned from a concussion on Jan. 27, it raised some eyebrows.
After all, Visnovsky is 37 years old and was poised to represent Slovakia for a fifth and likely last time. On top of that his national team, already battered by injuries, needed him. Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora felt strongly enough about it to publicly question Snow’s stance and then reached out to the Islanders general manager.
Sykora later accepted the decision and added that Visnovsky didn’t feel up to taking part in the international tournament.
Visnovsky’s agent, Neil Sheehy, took to Twitter to further dispelled any notion that there might be hard feelings between the Islanders and his client:
As disappointing as it is for Lubo Visnovsky to not play in the Olympics for Slovakia, the right decision was made for his longterm health.
— NEIL SHEEHY (@ICEHockeyAgent) February 10, 2014
Although the Islanders don’t have a realistic shot at making the playoffs at this point, Visnovsky will try to end the season on a high note to set up his and the team’s comeback bid in 2014-15.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)