Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
When New York Islanders GM Garth Snow made the decision not to let defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky play in the Olympics despite the fact that he returned from a concussion on Jan. 27, it raised some eyebrows.
After all, Visnovsky is 37 years old and was poised to represent Slovakia for a fifth and likely last time. On top of that his national team, already battered by injuries, needed him. Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora felt strongly enough about it to publicly question Snow’s stance and then reached out to the Islanders general manager.
Sykora later accepted the decision and added that Visnovsky didn’t feel up to taking part in the international tournament.
Visnovsky’s agent, Neil Sheehy, took to Twitter to further dispelled any notion that there might be hard feelings between the Islanders and his client:
As disappointing as it is for Lubo Visnovsky to not play in the Olympics for Slovakia, the right decision was made for his longterm health.
— NEIL SHEEHY (@ICEHockeyAgent) February 10, 2014
Although the Islanders don’t have a realistic shot at making the playoffs at this point, Visnovsky will try to end the season on a high note to set up his and the team’s comeback bid in 2014-15.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)