Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
When New York Islanders GM Garth Snow made the decision not to let defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky play in the Olympics despite the fact that he returned from a concussion on Jan. 27, it raised some eyebrows.
After all, Visnovsky is 37 years old and was poised to represent Slovakia for a fifth and likely last time. On top of that his national team, already battered by injuries, needed him. Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora felt strongly enough about it to publicly question Snow’s stance and then reached out to the Islanders general manager.
Sykora later accepted the decision and added that Visnovsky didn’t feel up to taking part in the international tournament.
Visnovsky’s agent, Neil Sheehy, took to Twitter to further dispelled any notion that there might be hard feelings between the Islanders and his client:
As disappointing as it is for Lubo Visnovsky to not play in the Olympics for Slovakia, the right decision was made for his longterm health.
— NEIL SHEEHY (@ICEHockeyAgent) February 10, 2014
Although the Islanders don’t have a realistic shot at making the playoffs at this point, Visnovsky will try to end the season on a high note to set up his and the team’s comeback bid in 2014-15.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)