Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
When New York Islanders GM Garth Snow made the decision not to let defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky play in the Olympics despite the fact that he returned from a concussion on Jan. 27, it raised some eyebrows.
After all, Visnovsky is 37 years old and was poised to represent Slovakia for a fifth and likely last time. On top of that his national team, already battered by injuries, needed him. Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora felt strongly enough about it to publicly question Snow’s stance and then reached out to the Islanders general manager.
Sykora later accepted the decision and added that Visnovsky didn’t feel up to taking part in the international tournament.
Visnovsky’s agent, Neil Sheehy, took to Twitter to further dispelled any notion that there might be hard feelings between the Islanders and his client:
As disappointing as it is for Lubo Visnovsky to not play in the Olympics for Slovakia, the right decision was made for his longterm health.
— NEIL SHEEHY (@ICEHockeyAgent) February 10, 2014
Although the Islanders don’t have a realistic shot at making the playoffs at this point, Visnovsky will try to end the season on a high note to set up his and the team’s comeback bid in 2014-15.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 8
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 68
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)