Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
When New York Islanders GM Garth Snow made the decision not to let defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky play in the Olympics despite the fact that he returned from a concussion on Jan. 27, it raised some eyebrows.
After all, Visnovsky is 37 years old and was poised to represent Slovakia for a fifth and likely last time. On top of that his national team, already battered by injuries, needed him. Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora felt strongly enough about it to publicly question Snow’s stance and then reached out to the Islanders general manager.
Sykora later accepted the decision and added that Visnovsky didn’t feel up to taking part in the international tournament.
Visnovsky’s agent, Neil Sheehy, took to Twitter to further dispelled any notion that there might be hard feelings between the Islanders and his client:
As disappointing as it is for Lubo Visnovsky to not play in the Olympics for Slovakia, the right decision was made for his longterm health.
— NEIL SHEEHY (@ICEHockeyAgent) February 10, 2014
Although the Islanders don’t have a realistic shot at making the playoffs at this point, Visnovsky will try to end the season on a high note to set up his and the team’s comeback bid in 2014-15.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)