Feb 9, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets forward Mark Scheifele is having an impressive first full season in the league and his teammates have taken notice.
Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the glowing words about the franchise’s 2011 first-round pick.
“Nothing really surprises me with him,” said Bryan Little of Scheifele. “I knew he was a great player, I’d seen him when he was younger. He struggled the first 10 to 15 games but it’s like the light switched after that and he was a different player because he had that confidence. You see that. He plays every night with that confidence. He’s going to be a great player in this league.”
When he was younger? As it is Scheifele is just 20 years old and in his first full season with the Jets. In 60 games he has 13 goals and 34 points. Seven of his goals have come in the past 16 games.
The Jets have been patient with Scheifele letting him develop with the Barrie Colts in the OHL and participating with Team Canada at the past two World Junior Championships. That patience is now be paying off.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40