Feb 9, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets forward Mark Scheifele is having an impressive first full season in the league and his teammates have taken notice.
Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the glowing words about the franchise’s 2011 first-round pick.
“Nothing really surprises me with him,” said Bryan Little of Scheifele. “I knew he was a great player, I’d seen him when he was younger. He struggled the first 10 to 15 games but it’s like the light switched after that and he was a different player because he had that confidence. You see that. He plays every night with that confidence. He’s going to be a great player in this league.”
When he was younger? As it is Scheifele is just 20 years old and in his first full season with the Jets. In 60 games he has 13 goals and 34 points. Seven of his goals have come in the past 16 games.
The Jets have been patient with Scheifele letting him develop with the Barrie Colts in the OHL and participating with Team Canada at the past two World Junior Championships. That patience is now be paying off.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)