Feb 9, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets forward Mark Scheifele is having an impressive first full season in the league and his teammates have taken notice.
Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the glowing words about the franchise’s 2011 first-round pick.
“Nothing really surprises me with him,” said Bryan Little of Scheifele. “I knew he was a great player, I’d seen him when he was younger. He struggled the first 10 to 15 games but it’s like the light switched after that and he was a different player because he had that confidence. You see that. He plays every night with that confidence. He’s going to be a great player in this league.”
When he was younger? As it is Scheifele is just 20 years old and in his first full season with the Jets. In 60 games he has 13 goals and 34 points. Seven of his goals have come in the past 16 games.
The Jets have been patient with Scheifele letting him develop with the Barrie Colts in the OHL and participating with Team Canada at the past two World Junior Championships. That patience is now be paying off.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25