Feb 9, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
The transaction wire was busy today as teams sent down their eligible players to the American Hockey League for the duration of Olympic Break. Here’s a breakdown of who’s headed back to the farm for two weeks:
Tampa Bay: The Lightning sent forward Vladimir Namestnikov and goalie Kristers Gudlevskis back to AHL Syracuse. Namestnikov made his NHL debut against Detroit last night and Gudlevskis is off to Sochi where he’ll play goal for Latvia.
Phoenix: The Coyotes sent forward Tim Kennedy (pictured) and defenseman Connor Murphy back to Portland. Kennedy has two goals and eight points this season and Murphy has a goal and eight points himself.
New Jersey: The Devils sent 22-year-old defenseman Jon Merrill back to Albany. Merrill has impressed lately and scored the game-winning goal in overtime, his first career goal, on Friday against Edmonton. He and two other young blue liners have been the focus of some attention lately among Devils faithful.
Vancouver: The Canucks sent four players back to Utica in the AHL. Forwards Kellen Lain and Pascal Pelletier and defensemen Yann Sauve and Frank Corrado will spend Olympic break in Central New York after helping fill holes in the injury-riddled Canucks lineup of late.
Washington: The Capitals sent three players to Hershey. Forward Casey Wellman and defensemen Julien Brouillette and Patrick Wey were sent back to the AHL. For Brouillette, his brief stay in D.C. was a memorable one as he scored his first career NHL goal against New Jersey on Saturday.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)