Feb 9, 2014, 8:03 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues should consider themselves lucky to have a defenseman like 24-year-old Alex Pietrangelo. It’s incredible that they have a spare.
Back on Thursday, Pietrangelo became the first St. Louis Blues defeseman in history to record at least 40 points in each of his first three full campaigns. Given that it wasn’t a full campaign, the shortened 2013 season doesn’t factor into this.
Before Pietrangelo, the last blueliner to accomplish that feat in the NHL was Dion Phaneuf, who did so while playing with the Calgary Flames from 2005-08. We’re probably not going to have to wait another six years to see it happen again though. In fact, barring an injury, Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk should replicate Pietrangelo’s accomplishment by the end of March (albeit not exclusively with the Blues in Shattenkirk’s case).
Shattenkirk, 25, already has eight goals and 36 points in 56 games this season.
This is just the latest example of how rare it is to have a defensive duo this good. The Blues are fortunate to have them both locked up too, as Pietrangelo is in the first season of a seven-year, $45.5 million contract while Shattenkirk has begun his four-year, $17 million deal. Throw in Jay Bouwmeester and Barret Jackman and their defense has been one of the Blues’ strengths this season.
St. Louis will resume its season on Feb. 26, but in the meantime, Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester will play for Team Canada while Kevin Shattenkirk will represent the United States.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 9
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15