Feb 9, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues should consider themselves lucky to have a defenseman like 24-year-old Alex Pietrangelo. It’s incredible that they have a spare.
Back on Thursday, Pietrangelo became the first St. Louis Blues defeseman in history to record at least 40 points in each of his first three full campaigns. Given that it wasn’t a full campaign, the shortened 2013 season doesn’t factor into this.
Before Pietrangelo, the last blueliner to accomplish that feat in the NHL was Dion Phaneuf, who did so while playing with the Calgary Flames from 2005-08. We’re probably not going to have to wait another six years to see it happen again though. In fact, barring an injury, Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk should replicate Pietrangelo’s accomplishment by the end of March (albeit not exclusively with the Blues in Shattenkirk’s case).
Shattenkirk, 25, already has eight goals and 36 points in 56 games this season.
This is just the latest example of how rare it is to have a defensive duo this good. The Blues are fortunate to have them both locked up too, as Pietrangelo is in the first season of a seven-year, $45.5 million contract while Shattenkirk has begun his four-year, $17 million deal. Throw in Jay Bouwmeester and Barret Jackman and their defense has been one of the Blues’ strengths this season.
St. Louis will resume its season on Feb. 26, but in the meantime, Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester will play for Team Canada while Kevin Shattenkirk will represent the United States.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)