Feb 9, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues should consider themselves lucky to have a defenseman like 24-year-old Alex Pietrangelo. It’s incredible that they have a spare.
Back on Thursday, Pietrangelo became the first St. Louis Blues defeseman in history to record at least 40 points in each of his first three full campaigns. Given that it wasn’t a full campaign, the shortened 2013 season doesn’t factor into this.
Before Pietrangelo, the last blueliner to accomplish that feat in the NHL was Dion Phaneuf, who did so while playing with the Calgary Flames from 2005-08. We’re probably not going to have to wait another six years to see it happen again though. In fact, barring an injury, Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk should replicate Pietrangelo’s accomplishment by the end of March (albeit not exclusively with the Blues in Shattenkirk’s case).
Shattenkirk, 25, already has eight goals and 36 points in 56 games this season.
This is just the latest example of how rare it is to have a defensive duo this good. The Blues are fortunate to have them both locked up too, as Pietrangelo is in the first season of a seven-year, $45.5 million contract while Shattenkirk has begun his four-year, $17 million deal. Throw in Jay Bouwmeester and Barret Jackman and their defense has been one of the Blues’ strengths this season.
St. Louis will resume its season on Feb. 26, but in the meantime, Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester will play for Team Canada while Kevin Shattenkirk will represent the United States.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 87
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 40
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 72
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62