Feb 9, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman John Carlson will be making his first trip to the Olympics to represent the United States.
As Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares, Caps coach Adam Oates believes playing on the big stage in Sochi will make him a better player down the stretch
“I don’t worry about it based on [workload] because I think the Olympics will energize him,” Coach Adam Oates said. “I think he’ll zero his focus in again…. You’re going to play with the best players in the world at the highest level. So for one week I think it will, if nothing else, re-energize him.”
Carlson, 24, has played internationally before in the World Junior Championships, but incorporating the condensed NHL schedule and the jam-packed Olympic schedule could be an issue for some players.
This season, Carlson has 10 goals and 23 points in 59 games. He trails only Mike Green among defensemen on the team in scoring. If he can pick up his play following the Olympics, the Capitals could sure use the lift as they’re one point back of the final wild card spot in the East.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)