Feb 9, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman John Carlson will be making his first trip to the Olympics to represent the United States.
As Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares, Caps coach Adam Oates believes playing on the big stage in Sochi will make him a better player down the stretch
“I don’t worry about it based on [workload] because I think the Olympics will energize him,” Coach Adam Oates said. “I think he’ll zero his focus in again…. You’re going to play with the best players in the world at the highest level. So for one week I think it will, if nothing else, re-energize him.”
Carlson, 24, has played internationally before in the World Junior Championships, but incorporating the condensed NHL schedule and the jam-packed Olympic schedule could be an issue for some players.
This season, Carlson has 10 goals and 23 points in 59 games. He trails only Mike Green among defensemen on the team in scoring. If he can pick up his play following the Olympics, the Capitals could sure use the lift as they’re one point back of the final wild card spot in the East.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)