Feb 9, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Carl Soderberg isn’t headed to Sochi for the 2014 Olympics and he feel OK with that.
Soderberg tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com that he’s still rooting for Sweden to win gold even though they may not have been looking at him to join the roster despite injuries to Johan Franzen and Henrik Sedin.
“I am going to watch it, for sure, especially the playoffs. Maybe the first round isn’t that…I don’t know…I think the best teams will make the playoffs, then it’s fun to watch,” said Soderberg. “Two years ago, I wasn’t even close to getting on the Olympic team. Then I’ve played great hockey now in two seasons so I’m close. But I’ll take my break, and cheer for the team.”
Soderberg, 28, may have hurt his chances on making the Swedish team last year when he skipped going to the World Championships in favor of joining the Bruins. The World Championships often are used as the measuring stick to choose players for the Olympics given the international competition.
This season, Soderberg has nine goals and 30 points in 49 games. His play of late helped give him a late push to be considered for the Olympics, but Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist and Capitals forward Marcus Johansson got the call ahead of him to replace Franzen and Sedin.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)