Feb 9, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Carl Soderberg isn’t headed to Sochi for the 2014 Olympics and he feel OK with that.
Soderberg tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com that he’s still rooting for Sweden to win gold even though they may not have been looking at him to join the roster despite injuries to Johan Franzen and Henrik Sedin.
“I am going to watch it, for sure, especially the playoffs. Maybe the first round isn’t that…I don’t know…I think the best teams will make the playoffs, then it’s fun to watch,” said Soderberg. “Two years ago, I wasn’t even close to getting on the Olympic team. Then I’ve played great hockey now in two seasons so I’m close. But I’ll take my break, and cheer for the team.”
Soderberg, 28, may have hurt his chances on making the Swedish team last year when he skipped going to the World Championships in favor of joining the Bruins. The World Championships often are used as the measuring stick to choose players for the Olympics given the international competition.
This season, Soderberg has nine goals and 30 points in 49 games. His play of late helped give him a late push to be considered for the Olympics, but Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist and Capitals forward Marcus Johansson got the call ahead of him to replace Franzen and Sedin.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)