Feb 9, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Boston Bruins forward Carl Soderberg isn’t headed to Sochi for the 2014 Olympics and he feel OK with that.
Soderberg tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com that he’s still rooting for Sweden to win gold even though they may not have been looking at him to join the roster despite injuries to Johan Franzen and Henrik Sedin.
“I am going to watch it, for sure, especially the playoffs. Maybe the first round isn’t that…I don’t know…I think the best teams will make the playoffs, then it’s fun to watch,” said Soderberg. “Two years ago, I wasn’t even close to getting on the Olympic team. Then I’ve played great hockey now in two seasons so I’m close. But I’ll take my break, and cheer for the team.”
Soderberg, 28, may have hurt his chances on making the Swedish team last year when he skipped going to the World Championships in favor of joining the Bruins. The World Championships often are used as the measuring stick to choose players for the Olympics given the international competition.
This season, Soderberg has nine goals and 30 points in 49 games. His play of late helped give him a late push to be considered for the Olympics, but Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist and Capitals forward Marcus Johansson got the call ahead of him to replace Franzen and Sedin.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 94
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (94)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)