Feb 9, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Boston Bruins forward Carl Soderberg isn’t headed to Sochi for the 2014 Olympics and he feel OK with that.
Soderberg tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com that he’s still rooting for Sweden to win gold even though they may not have been looking at him to join the roster despite injuries to Johan Franzen and Henrik Sedin.
“I am going to watch it, for sure, especially the playoffs. Maybe the first round isn’t that…I don’t know…I think the best teams will make the playoffs, then it’s fun to watch,” said Soderberg. “Two years ago, I wasn’t even close to getting on the Olympic team. Then I’ve played great hockey now in two seasons so I’m close. But I’ll take my break, and cheer for the team.”
Soderberg, 28, may have hurt his chances on making the Swedish team last year when he skipped going to the World Championships in favor of joining the Bruins. The World Championships often are used as the measuring stick to choose players for the Olympics given the international competition.
This season, Soderberg has nine goals and 30 points in 49 games. His play of late helped give him a late push to be considered for the Olympics, but Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist and Capitals forward Marcus Johansson got the call ahead of him to replace Franzen and Sedin.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)