Feb 9, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Leo Komarov will get the opportunity to play against NHLers while representing Team Finland in the 2014 Winter Games. He just hopes he won’t have to wait too long before it happens again.
Komarov spent the shortened campaign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, scoring four goals and nine points in 42 contests while averaging 14:56 minutes per game.
He ultimately decided to return to the KHL for 2013-14, both because it was the better option financially and it presented him with an opportunity to play in a bigger role ahead of the Olympics. The 27-year-old forward has made the most of that extra ice time by recording a career-high 31 points in 48 contests. Going forward though, he wants to return to North America.
“It’s a big goal for me for next season,” Komarov said, according to TSN. “[But] I’m going to see how it’s going to work out. Dynamo is playing pretty good right now so it’s like everything is good there too, but I really enjoyed it in Toronto. It was really good.”
Komarov will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so while he is interested in returning to Toronto after they drafted him in 2006, he’s also open to signing with other NHL clubs.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)