Feb 9, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Leo Komarov will get the opportunity to play against NHLers while representing Team Finland in the 2014 Winter Games. He just hopes he won’t have to wait too long before it happens again.
Komarov spent the shortened campaign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, scoring four goals and nine points in 42 contests while averaging 14:56 minutes per game.
He ultimately decided to return to the KHL for 2013-14, both because it was the better option financially and it presented him with an opportunity to play in a bigger role ahead of the Olympics. The 27-year-old forward has made the most of that extra ice time by recording a career-high 31 points in 48 contests. Going forward though, he wants to return to North America.
“It’s a big goal for me for next season,” Komarov said, according to TSN. “[But] I’m going to see how it’s going to work out. Dynamo is playing pretty good right now so it’s like everything is good there too, but I really enjoyed it in Toronto. It was really good.”
Komarov will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so while he is interested in returning to Toronto after they drafted him in 2006, he’s also open to signing with other NHL clubs.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)