Feb 9, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Leo Komarov will get the opportunity to play against NHLers while representing Team Finland in the 2014 Winter Games. He just hopes he won’t have to wait too long before it happens again.
Komarov spent the shortened campaign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, scoring four goals and nine points in 42 contests while averaging 14:56 minutes per game.
He ultimately decided to return to the KHL for 2013-14, both because it was the better option financially and it presented him with an opportunity to play in a bigger role ahead of the Olympics. The 27-year-old forward has made the most of that extra ice time by recording a career-high 31 points in 48 contests. Going forward though, he wants to return to North America.
“It’s a big goal for me for next season,” Komarov said, according to TSN. “[But] I’m going to see how it’s going to work out. Dynamo is playing pretty good right now so it’s like everything is good there too, but I really enjoyed it in Toronto. It was really good.”
Komarov will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so while he is interested in returning to Toronto after they drafted him in 2006, he’s also open to signing with other NHL clubs.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)