Feb 9, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Leo Komarov will get the opportunity to play against NHLers while representing Team Finland in the 2014 Winter Games. He just hopes he won’t have to wait too long before it happens again.
Komarov spent the shortened campaign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, scoring four goals and nine points in 42 contests while averaging 14:56 minutes per game.
He ultimately decided to return to the KHL for 2013-14, both because it was the better option financially and it presented him with an opportunity to play in a bigger role ahead of the Olympics. The 27-year-old forward has made the most of that extra ice time by recording a career-high 31 points in 48 contests. Going forward though, he wants to return to North America.
“It’s a big goal for me for next season,” Komarov said, according to TSN. “[But] I’m going to see how it’s going to work out. Dynamo is playing pretty good right now so it’s like everything is good there too, but I really enjoyed it in Toronto. It was really good.”
Komarov will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so while he is interested in returning to Toronto after they drafted him in 2006, he’s also open to signing with other NHL clubs.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)