Feb 9, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have an interesting problem on the blue line. They have a glut of young talent itching to stay in the NHL.
So what gives? GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t looking to speed up their development as Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice shares.
“Adam Larsson, Gelly and Merrill, they’re all going to be in the NHL. They’ll all be here,” Lamoriello said. “We’re not going to rush them. We’re going to make sure – if they have to go up, if they have to go down – they get their complete game together so that it’s on a consistent basis. It’s nothing personal with them. It’s nothing that they’re doing wrong. It’s the experience that’s needed. Different styles of play need different experiences. We’ll do everything we can so once they’re here they’ll be a solid contributing factor and play the minutes that are necessary to play.”
A big thing to keep in mind here: Gelinas and Merrill are 22 years old and Larsson is 21. It’s not like they’re rotting on the vine in the AHL at Albany. With veteran players like Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky, and captain Bryce Salvador locked in place, there’s not much room for the younger guys.
They’ll eventually have their time in the sun, it’s just not going to be right away. Sorry Devils fans, Lou’s orders.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He’ll add some toughness to the lineup.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
New Jersey is still working on getting the 18-year-old signed to an entry-level contract.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The two met in the Czech Republic to get to know one another.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Lehtonen and Niemi will account for $10.4 million in cap space next season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He’s heading into the final year of his two-year, $5 million deal.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Winnipeg was affiliated with the Ontario Reign last season.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He signed a two-year, bridge contract worth $5.6 million on Thursday.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
He’s also a veteran of 616 career games.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
That’s close to the middle between his and Washington’s requests.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The decision surprised Arizona’s general manager.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
The defenseman spent the 2014-15 campaign in the Swiss League.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
He considers himself a “young 29.”
Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Ray Shero’s restructure continues.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
There is a key deadline approaching though.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Johnson won a gold medal in 1988, but it was taken away because of a positive steroids test.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
This will be a key season for him.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)