Feb 9, 2014, 9:02 PM EST
The Czech Republic already lost one of their original picks for the 2014 Winter Olympics when Vladimir Sobotka suffered a leg injury. It looked like they would have to make another adjustment after Calgary Flames defenseman Ladislav Smid left Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Philadelphia in the third period.
The news is encouraging for Smid and the Czechs though, as the lower-body injury he sustained isn’t believed to be serious. As a result, he’s among the NHL players en route to Sochi, according to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson.
Although Smid has just four points in 57 games this season, he ranks fifth in the NHL with 137 blocked shots. He’s also just one of three players with at least 130 hits and blocks.
The 28-year-old started the campaign with the Edmonton Oilers, but was shipped to Calgary along with goalie prospect Olivier Roy on Nov. 8 in exchange for forward Roman Horak and netminding prospect Laurent Brossoit.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)