Feb 9, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Detroit forward Pavel Datsyuk returned from a knee injury on Thursday and played in two games before the Olympic break. However, the Red Wings limited his playing time in both contests and after missing 14 consecutive matches due to the ailment, his role with Team Russia still might end up being limited, if he plays at all.
“When Datsyuk arrives, we will talk and make a decision,” Russian head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov said, according to R-Sport. “Tomorrow is only the 10th and everything is possible.”
Losing Datsyuk would be a big blow for Russia — as it would be for any team. He’s not just another offensive threat on a squad loaded with them, he’s also one of the best two-way players in the game.
Before the 35-year-old forward left for Sochi, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock suggested that Datsyuk will ultimately need to determine if he’s ready or not, according to the Detroit News. This would be Datsyuk’s fourth and potentially last Winter Olympics, to say nothing of the fact that it’s an opportunity to win a gold medal at home.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)