Feb 8, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
We’ve seen quite a few NHL players get ruled out for the 2014 Winter Olympics in recent days over injuries, but fortunately for the Swiss team, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Yannick Weber won’t join that list, according to the Vancouver Province’s Ben Kuzma.
Although he’s missed the Canucks’ last three games due to an upper-body injury, Weber has been granted medical clearance to represent Switzerland. That has to come as a big relief to the country as they only have four NHL blueliners on their roster to begin with.
Weber, 25, has been playing a support role in Vancouver this season, averaging just 11:32 minutes per contest over 32 games. He has two goals and five points this season.
Vancouver will wrap up its pre-Olympics roster with a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at 6:00 p.m. ET. After that, Switzerland will face the Czech Republic, Sweden, and Latvia in Group C.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)