Feb 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Although Islanders GM Garth Snow made it known on Thursday that he didn’t want defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky playing in the Winter Olympics, Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora quickly announced his plans to reach out to Snow.
Sykora didn’t understand why Visnovsky was being held out of the games. Visnovsky was sidelined for more than three months because of a concussion, but he was able to return on Jan. 27 and has participated in five straight contests with the Islanders.
However, Sykora revealed today that Visnovsky doesn’t feel up to playing in the Winter Games, according to the Associated Press. The Slovakian GM added that it’s “a huge loss for us.”
That might be putting it mildly. Slovakia was already reeling from the loss of Marian Gaborik and while the nation still has some stars on its roster like Zdeno Chara, it doesn’t have a lot of depth to lean back on when they lose players of this caliber.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 5
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 7
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 15
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 2
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)