Feb 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Although Islanders GM Garth Snow made it known on Thursday that he didn’t want defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky playing in the Winter Olympics, Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora quickly announced his plans to reach out to Snow.
Sykora didn’t understand why Visnovsky was being held out of the games. Visnovsky was sidelined for more than three months because of a concussion, but he was able to return on Jan. 27 and has participated in five straight contests with the Islanders.
However, Sykora revealed today that Visnovsky doesn’t feel up to playing in the Winter Games, according to the Associated Press. The Slovakian GM added that it’s “a huge loss for us.”
That might be putting it mildly. Slovakia was already reeling from the loss of Marian Gaborik and while the nation still has some stars on its roster like Zdeno Chara, it doesn’t have a lot of depth to lean back on when they lose players of this caliber.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)