Feb 8, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars go into the Olympic break holding on to the final Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, according to NHL.com. That comes courtesy a 2-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday night.
The Coyotes entered the game as the No. 2 Wild Card team, but relinquished that by the final buzzer. The Stars and Coyotes have identical records of 27-21-10 and are tied in points with 64. But the Stars have one more regulation-overtime win (ROW) than the Coyotes, to jump into what would be the final playoff spot in the conference if the post-season was to start tomorrow.
The race for the Wild Card in the West is now taking shape for the stretch drive, which will begin when the NHL schedule resumes on Feb. 25.
The Minnesota Wild seem comfortably ahead in the first Wild Card spot, with 69 points. Behind them, it’s the Stars and Coyotes at 64 points; the struggling Vancouver Canucks – they lost again tonight – at 63 points; Winnipeg Jets at 62 points and even the Nashville Predators are still hanging around at 60 points.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)