Feb 8, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars go into the Olympic break holding on to the final Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, according to NHL.com. That comes courtesy a 2-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday night.
The Coyotes entered the game as the No. 2 Wild Card team, but relinquished that by the final buzzer. The Stars and Coyotes have identical records of 27-21-10 and are tied in points with 64. But the Stars have one more regulation-overtime win (ROW) than the Coyotes, to jump into what would be the final playoff spot in the conference if the post-season was to start tomorrow.
The race for the Wild Card in the West is now taking shape for the stretch drive, which will begin when the NHL schedule resumes on Feb. 25.
The Minnesota Wild seem comfortably ahead in the first Wild Card spot, with 69 points. Behind them, it’s the Stars and Coyotes at 64 points; the struggling Vancouver Canucks – they lost again tonight – at 63 points; Winnipeg Jets at 62 points and even the Nashville Predators are still hanging around at 60 points.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)