Feb 8, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars go into the Olympic break holding on to the final Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, according to NHL.com. That comes courtesy a 2-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday night.
The Coyotes entered the game as the No. 2 Wild Card team, but relinquished that by the final buzzer. The Stars and Coyotes have identical records of 27-21-10 and are tied in points with 64. But the Stars have one more regulation-overtime win (ROW) than the Coyotes, to jump into what would be the final playoff spot in the conference if the post-season was to start tomorrow.
The race for the Wild Card in the West is now taking shape for the stretch drive, which will begin when the NHL schedule resumes on Feb. 25.
The Minnesota Wild seem comfortably ahead in the first Wild Card spot, with 69 points. Behind them, it’s the Stars and Coyotes at 64 points; the struggling Vancouver Canucks – they lost again tonight – at 63 points; Winnipeg Jets at 62 points and even the Nashville Predators are still hanging around at 60 points.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)