Feb 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Goals have been hard to come by of late for the San Jose Sharks, and that includes forward Patrick Marleau.
His recent struggles to score are perhaps magnified because they coincide with his signing of a three-year contract extension worth $20 million with the Sharks on Jan. 24. Since then, he’s scored only twice, with another assist added in there as well.
Marleau did score Friday against the Columbus Blue Jackets. And he’ll now head to Sochi as a member of Team Canada, which also may have been an outside distraction in recent games.
“There’s more to Patty than we’ve seen over the last little bit,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’s had some things, the Olympics, the contract, a number of things that have occurred over the last couple weeks.
“Again, he is a streaky player, as well. We’ve talked about him and Brent Burns (no goals in 15 games). I think [Marleau] is skating well, it’s using his body and his size and his strength, and I think he can get better in that area.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)