Feb 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Goals have been hard to come by of late for the San Jose Sharks, and that includes forward Patrick Marleau.
His recent struggles to score are perhaps magnified because they coincide with his signing of a three-year contract extension worth $20 million with the Sharks on Jan. 24. Since then, he’s scored only twice, with another assist added in there as well.
Marleau did score Friday against the Columbus Blue Jackets. And he’ll now head to Sochi as a member of Team Canada, which also may have been an outside distraction in recent games.
“There’s more to Patty than we’ve seen over the last little bit,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’s had some things, the Olympics, the contract, a number of things that have occurred over the last couple weeks.
“Again, he is a streaky player, as well. We’ve talked about him and Brent Burns (no goals in 15 games). I think [Marleau] is skating well, it’s using his body and his size and his strength, and I think he can get better in that area.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)