Feb 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Goals have been hard to come by of late for the San Jose Sharks, and that includes forward Patrick Marleau.
His recent struggles to score are perhaps magnified because they coincide with his signing of a three-year contract extension worth $20 million with the Sharks on Jan. 24. Since then, he’s scored only twice, with another assist added in there as well.
Marleau did score Friday against the Columbus Blue Jackets. And he’ll now head to Sochi as a member of Team Canada, which also may have been an outside distraction in recent games.
“There’s more to Patty than we’ve seen over the last little bit,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’s had some things, the Olympics, the contract, a number of things that have occurred over the last couple weeks.
“Again, he is a streaky player, as well. We’ve talked about him and Brent Burns (no goals in 15 games). I think [Marleau] is skating well, it’s using his body and his size and his strength, and I think he can get better in that area.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 10
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 23
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 22
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)