Feb 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
Goals have been hard to come by of late for the San Jose Sharks, and that includes forward Patrick Marleau.
His recent struggles to score are perhaps magnified because they coincide with his signing of a three-year contract extension worth $20 million with the Sharks on Jan. 24. Since then, he’s scored only twice, with another assist added in there as well.
Marleau did score Friday against the Columbus Blue Jackets. And he’ll now head to Sochi as a member of Team Canada, which also may have been an outside distraction in recent games.
“There’s more to Patty than we’ve seen over the last little bit,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’s had some things, the Olympics, the contract, a number of things that have occurred over the last couple weeks.
“Again, he is a streaky player, as well. We’ve talked about him and Brent Burns (no goals in 15 games). I think [Marleau] is skating well, it’s using his body and his size and his strength, and I think he can get better in that area.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)