Feb 8, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have confirmed that Cory Schneider will make his sixth straight start and second in as many days on Saturday. Consequently, Martin Brodeur will end up going more than a month between starts.
“I’ve never had that time off while I was healthy playing on a team and two weeks vacation on top,” Brodeur told the Bergen Record earlier in the week when he openly conceded to this possibility.
Schneider has outplayed Brodeur — and most of the league for that matter — this season. That’s put the legendary goaltender in a situation he’s not accustomed to as the team’s backup.
To add to that, Brodeur will not be representing Canada in the Olympics after serving the nation in four consecutive Winter Games. He would obviously rather be getting playing time and he’s previously suggested that he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause if asked.
That being said, despite his past accomplishments, there might not be much of a market for the 41-year-old netminder.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 23
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 32
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)