Feb 8, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have confirmed that Cory Schneider will make his sixth straight start and second in as many days on Saturday. Consequently, Martin Brodeur will end up going more than a month between starts.
“I’ve never had that time off while I was healthy playing on a team and two weeks vacation on top,” Brodeur told the Bergen Record earlier in the week when he openly conceded to this possibility.
Schneider has outplayed Brodeur — and most of the league for that matter — this season. That’s put the legendary goaltender in a situation he’s not accustomed to as the team’s backup.
To add to that, Brodeur will not be representing Canada in the Olympics after serving the nation in four consecutive Winter Games. He would obviously rather be getting playing time and he’s previously suggested that he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause if asked.
That being said, despite his past accomplishments, there might not be much of a market for the 41-year-old netminder.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)