Feb 8, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have done well to climb out of the rut they found themselves in after the first month of the regular season.
The Rangers, you’ll recall, recorded just three wins on a nine-game road trip to start the season and were toward the bottom of the Metropolitan Division standings as a result. Their struggles came with a new head coach in Alain Vigneault, however, after having to answer for what seemed like loss after loss, he seems to have them pointed in the right direction now.
Following two wins in three games this month and seven wins in their last 10 games, the Rangers find themselves a point ahead of the Philadelphia Flyers for the second spot in that division.
It’s unlikely they’ll catch the Pittsburgh Penguins, currently at 83 points, but they’re holding onto a playoff position as the NHL shuts down for the Sochi Olympics and the stretch drive awaits.
“All you have to do is just look at the standings,” Vigneault said, as per NorthJersey.com. “We’re in a fight, it’s going to be very challenging.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)