Feb 8, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have done well to climb out of the rut they found themselves in after the first month of the regular season.
The Rangers, you’ll recall, recorded just three wins on a nine-game road trip to start the season and were toward the bottom of the Metropolitan Division standings as a result. Their struggles came with a new head coach in Alain Vigneault, however, after having to answer for what seemed like loss after loss, he seems to have them pointed in the right direction now.
Following two wins in three games this month and seven wins in their last 10 games, the Rangers find themselves a point ahead of the Philadelphia Flyers for the second spot in that division.
It’s unlikely they’ll catch the Pittsburgh Penguins, currently at 83 points, but they’re holding onto a playoff position as the NHL shuts down for the Sochi Olympics and the stretch drive awaits.
“All you have to do is just look at the standings,” Vigneault said, as per NorthJersey.com. “We’re in a fight, it’s going to be very challenging.”
- Report: Penguins owners (especially Lemieux) ponder sale of ‘some or all’ of franchise 0
- Report: Red Wings will name Blashill as head coach next week 0
- Kane, Toews may have toughest assignment yet in Hedman, Stralman 13
- Chicago mayor rips Lightning for being ‘afraid’ to sell tickets to Blackhawks fans 68
- PHT’s Stanley Cup Final picks, once again featuring The Coin 20
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 23
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 7
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 77
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 25
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)