Feb 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Hello from Sochi. Just thought I’d pass along the tentative practice plans for the American and Canadian men’s teams, per the Olympic media website. As you probably know, the NHL charters leave for Russia on Sunday. Both squads have booked ice times for Monday, the day of their arrival. The Canadians have one at 7:15 p.m., the Americans a bit later at 9 p.m.
The two teams also plan to practice Tuesday and Wednesday. They both play their first games Thursday.
I doubt these sessions will be particularly strenuous, but the coaches may want to run through some basic system stuff, and the players will want to find their legs after the long flight, and also get used to the big ice and their new teammates.
It’s only practice, but I’m sure there will be some fun things to watch for, particularly the line combinations and defensive pairings. I’d also be willing to bet the coaches will tell reporters something along the lines of, “Don’t read anything into these,” as if they just pulled them out of a hat.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)