Feb 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Hello from Sochi. Just thought I’d pass along the tentative practice plans for the American and Canadian men’s teams, per the Olympic media website. As you probably know, the NHL charters leave for Russia on Sunday. Both squads have booked ice times for Monday, the day of their arrival. The Canadians have one at 7:15 p.m., the Americans a bit later at 9 p.m.
The two teams also plan to practice Tuesday and Wednesday. They both play their first games Thursday.
I doubt these sessions will be particularly strenuous, but the coaches may want to run through some basic system stuff, and the players will want to find their legs after the long flight, and also get used to the big ice and their new teammates.
It’s only practice, but I’m sure there will be some fun things to watch for, particularly the line combinations and defensive pairings. I’d also be willing to bet the coaches will tell reporters something along the lines of, “Don’t read anything into these,” as if they just pulled them out of a hat.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)