Feb 8, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Philadelphia captain Claude Giroux won’t be going to the Sochi, but if he keeps playing like this, he will enjoy a lengthy playoff run. The Flyers wrapped up their pre-Olympic schedule with their fifth win in six games and he’s been a big part of that run.
Giroux extended his point streak to four games after he fired at hard shot that was deflected in by teammate Scott Hartnell at 4:04 of the third period to give the Flyers a much needed insurance goal against the Calgary Flames:
That gives Giroux four goals and 10 points in his last six contests.
Backup goaltender Ray Emery was the hero this afternoon though. Calgary’s Matt Stajan spoiled his shutout with just 2:26 left in regulation time, but Emery held on to earn a 2-1 victory. The Flyers netminder finished the game with 32 saves.
Phialdelphia will go into the break with a three-point cushion on third place in the Metropolitan Division.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31