Feb 8, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Philadelphia captain Claude Giroux won’t be going to the Sochi, but if he keeps playing like this, he will enjoy a lengthy playoff run. The Flyers wrapped up their pre-Olympic schedule with their fifth win in six games and he’s been a big part of that run.
Giroux extended his point streak to four games after he fired at hard shot that was deflected in by teammate Scott Hartnell at 4:04 of the third period to give the Flyers a much needed insurance goal against the Calgary Flames:
That gives Giroux four goals and 10 points in his last six contests.
Backup goaltender Ray Emery was the hero this afternoon though. Calgary’s Matt Stajan spoiled his shutout with just 2:26 left in regulation time, but Emery held on to earn a 2-1 victory. The Flyers netminder finished the game with 32 saves.
Phialdelphia will go into the break with a three-point cushion on third place in the Metropolitan Division.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7