Feb 8, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Philadelphia captain Claude Giroux won’t be going to the Sochi, but if he keeps playing like this, he will enjoy a lengthy playoff run. The Flyers wrapped up their pre-Olympic schedule with their fifth win in six games and he’s been a big part of that run.
Giroux extended his point streak to four games after he fired at hard shot that was deflected in by teammate Scott Hartnell at 4:04 of the third period to give the Flyers a much needed insurance goal against the Calgary Flames:
That gives Giroux four goals and 10 points in his last six contests.
Backup goaltender Ray Emery was the hero this afternoon though. Calgary’s Matt Stajan spoiled his shutout with just 2:26 left in regulation time, but Emery held on to earn a 2-1 victory. The Flyers netminder finished the game with 32 saves.
Phialdelphia will go into the break with a three-point cushion on third place in the Metropolitan Division.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)