Feb 8, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Philadelphia captain Claude Giroux won’t be going to the Sochi, but if he keeps playing like this, he will enjoy a lengthy playoff run. The Flyers wrapped up their pre-Olympic schedule with their fifth win in six games and he’s been a big part of that run.
Giroux extended his point streak to four games after he fired at hard shot that was deflected in by teammate Scott Hartnell at 4:04 of the third period to give the Flyers a much needed insurance goal against the Calgary Flames:
That gives Giroux four goals and 10 points in his last six contests.
Backup goaltender Ray Emery was the hero this afternoon though. Calgary’s Matt Stajan spoiled his shutout with just 2:26 left in regulation time, but Emery held on to earn a 2-1 victory. The Flyers netminder finished the game with 32 saves.
Phialdelphia will go into the break with a three-point cushion on third place in the Metropolitan Division.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)