Feb 8, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Philadelphia captain Claude Giroux won’t be going to the Sochi, but if he keeps playing like this, he will enjoy a lengthy playoff run. The Flyers wrapped up their pre-Olympic schedule with their fifth win in six games and he’s been a big part of that run.
Giroux extended his point streak to four games after he fired at hard shot that was deflected in by teammate Scott Hartnell at 4:04 of the third period to give the Flyers a much needed insurance goal against the Calgary Flames:
That gives Giroux four goals and 10 points in his last six contests.
Backup goaltender Ray Emery was the hero this afternoon though. Calgary’s Matt Stajan spoiled his shutout with just 2:26 left in regulation time, but Emery held on to earn a 2-1 victory. The Flyers netminder finished the game with 32 saves.
Phialdelphia will go into the break with a three-point cushion on third place in the Metropolitan Division.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)