Feb 8, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He said no.
Bergenheim felt he needed to prioritize his long-term health. He missed the entire 2013 campaign due to hip, groin and abdomen injuries and he wasn’t ready for the start of 2013-14. It got to the point were former Panthers coach Kevin Dineen expressed concern over Bergenheim’s career and questioned the the forward’s toughness.
He also urged Bergenheim to come back even if he wasn’t 100 percent. It’s worth adding that after Dineen was fired, forward Scottie Upshall criticized the former bench boss for using injuries against him.
Regardless, Bergenheim did return shortly after Dineen’s public scolding and it sounds like he probably did so before he was fully recovered. So rather than go to the Olympics, Bergenheim is going to rest and continue his rehabilitation.
“For any athlete, having to say no to the Olympics is disappointing,” Bergenheim told the Miami Herald.
“I had to make a decision with my best interests in mind. I really feel I need to the break. I’m happy with how far I have come, but I could take a real step forward after the break.”
Finland named two KHLers, Jarkko Immonen and Sakari Salminen, as the team’s injury replacements.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)