Feb 8, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He said no.
Bergenheim felt he needed to prioritize his long-term health. He missed the entire 2013 campaign due to hip, groin and abdomen injuries and he wasn’t ready for the start of 2013-14. It got to the point were former Panthers coach Kevin Dineen expressed concern over Bergenheim’s career and questioned the the forward’s toughness.
He also urged Bergenheim to come back even if he wasn’t 100 percent. It’s worth adding that after Dineen was fired, forward Scottie Upshall criticized the former bench boss for using injuries against him.
Regardless, Bergenheim did return shortly after Dineen’s public scolding and it sounds like he probably did so before he was fully recovered. So rather than go to the Olympics, Bergenheim is going to rest and continue his rehabilitation.
“For any athlete, having to say no to the Olympics is disappointing,” Bergenheim told the Miami Herald.
“I had to make a decision with my best interests in mind. I really feel I need to the break. I’m happy with how far I have come, but I could take a real step forward after the break.”
Finland named two KHLers, Jarkko Immonen and Sakari Salminen, as the team’s injury replacements.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)