Feb 7, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
To say Loui Eriksson‘s had a tough go in his first season with Boston is putting it lightly.
The Swedish forward missed Friday practice to receive dental work, the byproduct of a Maxim Lapierre high stick during Thursday night’s win over the Blues. Eriksson suffered “bashed in” teeth, according to B’s head coach and aspiring orthodontist Claude Julien.
“The linesman saw it, and the rule is that the linesman can call it if there’s a high stick with blood,” Julien told CSN New England. “We thought it was going to get called because he’d seen it. Technically, we thought [the goal] wouldn’t count, and it could be taken back. But that whistle needed to be blown right away, and it wasn’t.
“So they can’t take it back, and we have a player with some teeth bashed in. He had quite a few stitches in his mouth. This guy has already been through a lot for us…poor Loui. Nothing is getting called against him, and he’s just taking his lumps. It was a little disappointing.”
It was the latest in a number of blows taken by Eriksson this year. The first was an elbow to the head from Buffalo tough guy John Scott in November, one that concussed Eriksson and sidelined him for five games. Roughly one month later, Eriksson was concussed again on a big hit from Pittsburgh’s Brooks Orpik, and missed 15 more games.
As such, the 28-year-old’s had a very up-and-down campaign. He has just 18 points through 36 contests, but is hoping to turn things around with a strong showing for the Swedes at the Olympics, and one final game for the B’s before the break.
“Loui’s doing OK. The only reason he missed is he’s obviously getting some dental work done and making sure he’s all fixed up before tomorrow and before he leaves for the Olympics,” said Julien. “He should be in the lineup tomorrow [versus Ottawa]; there’s no reason why he shouldn’t.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)