Feb 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
If the New York Islanders want to make the playoffs, they need to be near perfect for the remainder of the season. They didn’t look anything close to that in their 4-2 loss to the lowly Calgary Flames last night.
This has to have been a tough season to get through for Tavares. He’s one of the league’s best players, but a campaign that started out with a lot of promise has turned sour. Not only are the Islanders likely to miss the playoffs, but their efforts to re-sign forward Thomas Vanek and defenseman Andrew MacDonald have been unsuccessful.
At least Tavares will get a brief reprieve when the NHL breaks and he heads to Sochi to play for Team Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics. It will be his first Olympics and a chance to win gold with his home country.
Of course, Canada is far from a lock to win the tournament, but at least they have hope and a legitimate shot. Those are things that the Islanders can’t offer him at this point.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)