Feb 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
If the New York Islanders want to make the playoffs, they need to be near perfect for the remainder of the season. They didn’t look anything close to that in their 4-2 loss to the lowly Calgary Flames last night.
This has to have been a tough season to get through for Tavares. He’s one of the league’s best players, but a campaign that started out with a lot of promise has turned sour. Not only are the Islanders likely to miss the playoffs, but their efforts to re-sign forward Thomas Vanek and defenseman Andrew MacDonald have been unsuccessful.
At least Tavares will get a brief reprieve when the NHL breaks and he heads to Sochi to play for Team Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics. It will be his first Olympics and a chance to win gold with his home country.
Of course, Canada is far from a lock to win the tournament, but at least they have hope and a legitimate shot. Those are things that the Islanders can’t offer him at this point.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)