Feb 7, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
On Friday, Slovakian Olympic GM Otto Sykora expressed confusion as to why New York Islanders GM Garth Snow isn’t allowing defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky to play in Sochi.
“If it’s possible he can play and he says he’s okay, he can play, I really don’t understand why he not can play,” Sykora said at Slovak Point in the Adler train station following a media conference with Slovakian defenceman Zdeno Chara.
“If he is injured, we accept this. If he say he’s not injured and he can play and (Snow) say we don’t let him go, we don’t understand this.”
Sykora said he planned to talk to Snow on Friday night. Sykora said the Games are big deal to Visnovsky, 37, since this likely will be his last chance to play at the five-ring circus and the Olympic tournament is a big deal in Slovakia.
“For Lubomir Visnovsky this is last chance to play for national team,” said Sykora. “If he not play, it’s not good for him. He is same than Zdeno Chara and Visnovsky, big here in Slovakia.”
Visnovsky missed 46 games this year with a concussion, but returned to action on Jan. 27 and has played five straight games with no setbacks. The Isles have been using him extensively, as well — Visnovsky’s played at least 19 minutes in every game since returning, including 22:08 in his first appearance (a 6-3 loss to Boston).
Back in January, Snow stated he and the club wouldn’t grant Visnovsky his release for the games and yesterday, he confirmed it.
“We just don’t feel comfortable letting him go,” Snow told Newsday.
Not having Visnovsky would be a tough pill to swallow for Slovakia, a country with only 13 active NHLers and already down the services of one — Marian Gaborik, who was ruled out by Columbus on Thursday as his broken collarbone has yet to fully heal.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)