Feb 7, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne won’t be suiting up in the Anaheim Ducks’ final game before the Olympic break.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register reports Selanne did not make the trip with the team to Nashville and stayed home to rest up and leave for Sochi on Sunday. The Ducks face the Predators on Saturday night while Selanne will represent Finland at the Olympics.
Before you freak out thinking Selanne did this on his own, he didn’t. Stephens says Ducks GM Bob Murray and coach Bruce Boudreau all discussed it with Selanne and decided it was best for him to do things this way.
This season, Selanne, 43, has been taking some nights off, generally the second game of back-to-back games on the road. The Ducks last played on Wednesday against Chicago.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)