Feb 7, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne won’t be suiting up in the Anaheim Ducks’ final game before the Olympic break.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register reports Selanne did not make the trip with the team to Nashville and stayed home to rest up and leave for Sochi on Sunday. The Ducks face the Predators on Saturday night while Selanne will represent Finland at the Olympics.
Before you freak out thinking Selanne did this on his own, he didn’t. Stephens says Ducks GM Bob Murray and coach Bruce Boudreau all discussed it with Selanne and decided it was best for him to do things this way.
This season, Selanne, 43, has been taking some nights off, generally the second game of back-to-back games on the road. The Ducks last played on Wednesday against Chicago.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 4
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39