Feb 7, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne won’t be suiting up in the Anaheim Ducks’ final game before the Olympic break.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register reports Selanne did not make the trip with the team to Nashville and stayed home to rest up and leave for Sochi on Sunday. The Ducks face the Predators on Saturday night while Selanne will represent Finland at the Olympics.
Before you freak out thinking Selanne did this on his own, he didn’t. Stephens says Ducks GM Bob Murray and coach Bruce Boudreau all discussed it with Selanne and decided it was best for him to do things this way.
This season, Selanne, 43, has been taking some nights off, generally the second game of back-to-back games on the road. The Ducks last played on Wednesday against Chicago.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)