Feb 7, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Newly appointed Sabres GM Tim Murray is a popular guy right now. Buffalo is dead last in the NHL and has some of the top players available on the trade market in forwards Steve Ott and Matt Moulson as well as goaltender Ryan Miller.
But could the Senators, who are trying to claw their way into the playoffs, have the inside track when it comes to dealing with Buffalo? It certainly doesn’t hurt that Tim Murray’s uncle is the general manager in Ottawa.
“I think it would be pretty cool to make a deal with him,” Tim Murray said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “If the deal makes sense, I’m not shy about making a deal at all.”
Of course, the Murrays aren’t just family. Tim Murray spent years serving as the Senators’ assistant GM before moving to Buffalo, so he’s very familiar with what Ottawa’s organization has to offer. He’s also aware that as the new guy, rival general managers will be looking to take advantage of him and he plans to lean on his support staff as the deadline approaches.
Meanwhile, Ottawa forward Milan Michalek scored with 23 seconds left in regulation to earn a 3-2 victory over Buffalo last night.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)