Feb 7, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Newly appointed Sabres GM Tim Murray is a popular guy right now. Buffalo is dead last in the NHL and has some of the top players available on the trade market in forwards Steve Ott and Matt Moulson as well as goaltender Ryan Miller.
But could the Senators, who are trying to claw their way into the playoffs, have the inside track when it comes to dealing with Buffalo? It certainly doesn’t hurt that Tim Murray’s uncle is the general manager in Ottawa.
“I think it would be pretty cool to make a deal with him,” Tim Murray said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “If the deal makes sense, I’m not shy about making a deal at all.”
Of course, the Murrays aren’t just family. Tim Murray spent years serving as the Senators’ assistant GM before moving to Buffalo, so he’s very familiar with what Ottawa’s organization has to offer. He’s also aware that as the new guy, rival general managers will be looking to take advantage of him and he plans to lean on his support staff as the deadline approaches.
Meanwhile, Ottawa forward Milan Michalek scored with 23 seconds left in regulation to earn a 3-2 victory over Buffalo last night.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)