Feb 7, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Newly appointed Sabres GM Tim Murray is a popular guy right now. Buffalo is dead last in the NHL and has some of the top players available on the trade market in forwards Steve Ott and Matt Moulson as well as goaltender Ryan Miller.
But could the Senators, who are trying to claw their way into the playoffs, have the inside track when it comes to dealing with Buffalo? It certainly doesn’t hurt that Tim Murray’s uncle is the general manager in Ottawa.
“I think it would be pretty cool to make a deal with him,” Tim Murray said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “If the deal makes sense, I’m not shy about making a deal at all.”
Of course, the Murrays aren’t just family. Tim Murray spent years serving as the Senators’ assistant GM before moving to Buffalo, so he’s very familiar with what Ottawa’s organization has to offer. He’s also aware that as the new guy, rival general managers will be looking to take advantage of him and he plans to lean on his support staff as the deadline approaches.
Meanwhile, Ottawa forward Milan Michalek scored with 23 seconds left in regulation to earn a 3-2 victory over Buffalo last night.
- Report: No fine or suspension for Perry’s spear on Benn 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 23
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 41
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 15
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42