Feb 7, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Newly appointed Sabres GM Tim Murray is a popular guy right now. Buffalo is dead last in the NHL and has some of the top players available on the trade market in forwards Steve Ott and Matt Moulson as well as goaltender Ryan Miller.
But could the Senators, who are trying to claw their way into the playoffs, have the inside track when it comes to dealing with Buffalo? It certainly doesn’t hurt that Tim Murray’s uncle is the general manager in Ottawa.
“I think it would be pretty cool to make a deal with him,” Tim Murray said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “If the deal makes sense, I’m not shy about making a deal at all.”
Of course, the Murrays aren’t just family. Tim Murray spent years serving as the Senators’ assistant GM before moving to Buffalo, so he’s very familiar with what Ottawa’s organization has to offer. He’s also aware that as the new guy, rival general managers will be looking to take advantage of him and he plans to lean on his support staff as the deadline approaches.
Meanwhile, Ottawa forward Milan Michalek scored with 23 seconds left in regulation to earn a 3-2 victory over Buffalo last night.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)