Feb 7, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Newly appointed Sabres GM Tim Murray is a popular guy right now. Buffalo is dead last in the NHL and has some of the top players available on the trade market in forwards Steve Ott and Matt Moulson as well as goaltender Ryan Miller.
But could the Senators, who are trying to claw their way into the playoffs, have the inside track when it comes to dealing with Buffalo? It certainly doesn’t hurt that Tim Murray’s uncle is the general manager in Ottawa.
“I think it would be pretty cool to make a deal with him,” Tim Murray said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “If the deal makes sense, I’m not shy about making a deal at all.”
Of course, the Murrays aren’t just family. Tim Murray spent years serving as the Senators’ assistant GM before moving to Buffalo, so he’s very familiar with what Ottawa’s organization has to offer. He’s also aware that as the new guy, rival general managers will be looking to take advantage of him and he plans to lean on his support staff as the deadline approaches.
Meanwhile, Ottawa forward Milan Michalek scored with 23 seconds left in regulation to earn a 3-2 victory over Buffalo last night.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)