Feb 7, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
Finland’s hopes of winning a medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics took a major hit when injuries to Valtteri Filppula and Mikko Koivu will keep both of them from playing in Sochi and they’ll reportedly be replaced by a pair of KHL teammates.
Juha Hiitela of Finnish outlet Urheilusanomat reports they’ll be replaced by forwards Jarkko Immonen and Sakari Salminen, both currently playing for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod in the KHL.
Salminen is the sixth leading scorer in the KHL with 18 goals and 46 points. Immonen is a former New York Rangers prospect and 18th in the league in points with 36. If you’re not going to have two of the better players in the world in Koivu and Filppula, replacing them with guys playing on the same team makes for a smart move this close to the Olympics.
Florida Panthers forward Sean Bergenheim was a notable omission when the roster was first announced and not being chosen this time around makes for a real head-scratcher. Perhaps his poor health the past two years was too much of an issue for the Finns.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
It’s no secret that they’re losing a lot of money.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Click the link to see the pictures.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
“I’m just getting tired.”
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)