Feb 7, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Although they reportedly balked at captain Ryan Callahan‘s initial demands — believed to be in the range of $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years — the New York Rangers resumed their contract negotiations with his agent this week.
It didn’t help. The Rangers are countering with a five-year, $30 million deal and the two sides haven’t moved meaningfully closer to resolving the impasse, according to ESPN’s sources.
Teams won’t be allowed to trade from 3:00 p.m. ET today through Feb. 23 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Earlier reports suggested that the Rangers might push to trade Callahan before that deadline if they couldn’t re-sign him, but it now sounds like they’re more likely to wait until after the Olympics to resolve this matter.
It helps that Callahan has handled himself nicely. He had one of his biggest games of the season on Tuesday when he scored two goals and three points against Colorado.
That’s good news for Team USA as he’ll likely have this hanging over his head while he’s playing for them in Sochi.
- Kane, Toews may have toughest assignment yet in Hedman, Stralman 12
- Chicago mayor rips Lightning for being ‘afraid’ to sell tickets to Blackhawks fans 67
- PHT’s Stanley Cup Final picks, once again featuring The Coin 20
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 23
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 7
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 77
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 25
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 12
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)