Feb 7, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
On Friday, Mar. 7, longtime Calgary forward Joe Nieuwendyk will be honored with the franchise’s highest honor, as his Forever a Flame banner will be raised to the Saddledome rafters.
“I am truly honoured to receive this recognition and join with my former teammates and friends as well as all Flames fans, to celebrate the outstanding history and traditions established by the Flames organization,” Nieuwendyk said in a statement. “I spent nine memorable seasons with Calgary and I am extremely proud as a member of the Flames family to have my name and number recognized by the organization.”
Nieuwendyk will join Lanny McDonald, Mike Vernon and Al MacInnis as Forever a Flame inductees — only McDonald’s No. 9 and Vernon’s No. 3 are technically “retired” — celebrating the 577 games Nieuwendyk played with Calgary during his career, in which he recorded 314 goals and 616 points.
The 47-year-old, who has been linked to Calgary’s GM position, played in 1,257 NHL games with Calgary, the Dallas Stars, New Jersey Devils, Toronto Maple Leafs and Florida Panthers. He’s one of ten players in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup on three different teams (Calgary ’89, Dallas ’99, New Jersey ’03) and was named Conn Smythe as playoff MVP with the Stars in ’99.
Nieuwendyk was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2011, but saw his four-year stint as Dallas Stars GM come to an end last season when he was fired at the end of the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)