Feb 7, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown was handed a minor charging penalty after knocking into the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray at 5:16 of the second period of Thursday’s game.
It looks like that will be the extent of his punishment as the NHL doesn’t plan to hold a hearing over the incident, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Although Brown clearly nailed Murray’s head, it didn’t look like Brown’s feet left the ice before he made contact and Murray’s moving downwards prior to the hit. Those might have been factors in the NHL’s decision.
You can see the hit below:
“It’s a fine hit…At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore,” said Brown after the game.
Meawnhile, Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards suggested that Brown took advantage of a vulnerable player.
Murray spent some time in the dressing room, but ultimately finished the game. Still, Richards was quick to caution that he might not be out of the woods yet.
“Even though (Murray) came back, you never know what tomorrow morning is going to bring,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch.
The Blue Jackets will face the San Jose Sharks tonight.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)