Feb 7, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown was handed a minor charging penalty after knocking into the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray at 5:16 of the second period of Thursday’s game.
It looks like that will be the extent of his punishment as the NHL doesn’t plan to hold a hearing over the incident, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Although Brown clearly nailed Murray’s head, it didn’t look like Brown’s feet left the ice before he made contact and Murray’s moving downwards prior to the hit. Those might have been factors in the NHL’s decision.
You can see the hit below:
“It’s a fine hit…At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore,” said Brown after the game.
Meawnhile, Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards suggested that Brown took advantage of a vulnerable player.
Murray spent some time in the dressing room, but ultimately finished the game. Still, Richards was quick to caution that he might not be out of the woods yet.
“Even though (Murray) came back, you never know what tomorrow morning is going to bring,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch.
The Blue Jackets will face the San Jose Sharks tonight.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)