Feb 7, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown was handed a minor charging penalty after knocking into the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray at 5:16 of the second period of Thursday’s game.
It looks like that will be the extent of his punishment as the NHL doesn’t plan to hold a hearing over the incident, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Although Brown clearly nailed Murray’s head, it didn’t look like Brown’s feet left the ice before he made contact and Murray’s moving downwards prior to the hit. Those might have been factors in the NHL’s decision.
You can see the hit below:
“It’s a fine hit…At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore,” said Brown after the game.
Meawnhile, Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards suggested that Brown took advantage of a vulnerable player.
Murray spent some time in the dressing room, but ultimately finished the game. Still, Richards was quick to caution that he might not be out of the woods yet.
“Even though (Murray) came back, you never know what tomorrow morning is going to bring,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch.
The Blue Jackets will face the San Jose Sharks tonight.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)