Feb 7, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown was handed a minor charging penalty after knocking into the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray at 5:16 of the second period of Thursday’s game.
It looks like that will be the extent of his punishment as the NHL doesn’t plan to hold a hearing over the incident, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Although Brown clearly nailed Murray’s head, it didn’t look like Brown’s feet left the ice before he made contact and Murray’s moving downwards prior to the hit. Those might have been factors in the NHL’s decision.
You can see the hit below:
“It’s a fine hit…At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore,” said Brown after the game.
Meawnhile, Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards suggested that Brown took advantage of a vulnerable player.
Murray spent some time in the dressing room, but ultimately finished the game. Still, Richards was quick to caution that he might not be out of the woods yet.
“Even though (Murray) came back, you never know what tomorrow morning is going to bring,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch.
The Blue Jackets will face the San Jose Sharks tonight.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)