Feb 7, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
This very likely was the final opportunity Lubomir Visnovsky had to represent Slovakia in the Winter Olympics. But, in what would’ve been his fifth trip to the Games, it just won’t be.
The New York Islanders aren’t letting him go, according to Long Island Newsday. That’s mostly because the 37-year-old defenseman missed the bulk of this season with a concussion.
“We just don’t feel comfortable letting him go,” Islanders general manager Garth Snow told Long Island Newsday.
Visnovsky has represented Slovakia at the Winter Olympics in 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010.
But the decision this year comes from the fact he missed 46 games due to his concussion, only returning to the Islanders’ lineup on Jan. 27 against the Boston Bruins. He’s played in five games since coming back, with more than 20 minutes of ice time in four of those games.
Even before he returned to game action, the Islanders did not want him participating in Sochi.
“As much as Lubo would like to represent his country and participate in the Olympics, our doctors and I are not comfortable with him going to play,” Snow said last month.
In 13 games this season, Visnovsky has one goal and three points.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)