Feb 7, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
Good morning from Sochi. Just waiting around for all the practices to start today. Slovakia’s on the ice soon (minus Zdeno Chara, who’s not arriving until later today) and Switzerland’s later. The NHLers don’t fly over on their charters until Sunday.
Thought I’d share a few pictures of the Bolshoy Ice Dome, where most of the men’s games will be played, including the gold-medal game on Feb. 23.
That’s the outside, obviously. I took this a couple of days ago when the Olympic Park was practically a ghost town. The electronic music they had blaring over the park’s speakers made it feel like I was in some sort of dystopian movie, or possibly a zombie one.
The Bolshoy Ice Dome’s capacity is listed at 12,000, but it’s probably going to be slightly less for the Olympics, just because of all the media seats and camera areas that take up much of the lower bowl. It was the same way in Vancouver four years ago.
The other, smaller hockey rink (capacity listed at 7,000) is called Shayba Arena.
The United States will play a couple of games here in the preliminary round, including its opener on Thursday versus Slovakia.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)