Feb 7, 2014, 11:51 PM EDT
On Friday, Mike Smith did what no goalie’s been able to in an awful long time.
Smith stopped all 29 Chicago shots faced at Jobing.com, registering a 2-0 shutout win for Phoenix — marking the first time the ‘Hawks have been shut out in nearly two full calendar years.
The last time Chicago was blanked during the regular season came on Feb. 25, 2012, a 4-0 defeat to the Kings. Since then, the ‘Hawks went the entire 48-game, lockout-shortened ’13 campaign without getting shut down, and made it through 59 games this year before running into Smith.
All told, Chicago went 126 regular season games scoring at least one goal.
While Smith was good on the night, this wasn’t just about goaltending. Chicago was without the services of leading scorer Patrick Kane (personal) and puck-moving defenseman Johnny Oduya (lower-body). Phoenix also played one of its more complete games of the season, holding a Chicago team that averages 33.4 shots per game (second in the NHL) to just 29.
With the win, the Coyotes jumped ahead of Vancouver for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, and the Coyotes will play once more before the Olympic break — tomorrow night in Dallas. Chicago remained two points up on St. Louis for tops in the Central Division and now won’t play again until Feb. 27, against the New York Rangers.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)