Feb 7, 2014, 11:51 PM EDT
On Friday, Mike Smith did what no goalie’s been able to in an awful long time.
Smith stopped all 29 Chicago shots faced at Jobing.com, registering a 2-0 shutout win for Phoenix — marking the first time the ‘Hawks have been shut out in nearly two full calendar years.
The last time Chicago was blanked during the regular season came on Feb. 25, 2012, a 4-0 defeat to the Kings. Since then, the ‘Hawks went the entire 48-game, lockout-shortened ’13 campaign without getting shut down, and made it through 59 games this year before running into Smith.
All told, Chicago went 126 regular season games scoring at least one goal.
While Smith was good on the night, this wasn’t just about goaltending. Chicago was without the services of leading scorer Patrick Kane (personal) and puck-moving defenseman Johnny Oduya (lower-body). Phoenix also played one of its more complete games of the season, holding a Chicago team that averages 33.4 shots per game (second in the NHL) to just 29.
With the win, the Coyotes jumped ahead of Vancouver for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, and the Coyotes will play once more before the Olympic break — tomorrow night in Dallas. Chicago remained two points up on St. Louis for tops in the Central Division and now won’t play again until Feb. 27, against the New York Rangers.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)