Feb 7, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Mikael Backlund has been red-hot in the points column lately for the Calgary Flames. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there’s increasing talk about him possibly replacing Henrik Sedin on Sweden’s Olympic hockey roster.
Backlund, the 24-year-old center who was a first-round pick of the Flames in 2007, has six goals and 10 points in his last six games. He was recognized for his standout play earlier this week, earning one of the NHL’s three stars.
This recent surge combined with the fact Sedin, the Canucks’ captain, will not compete in the Olympics because of a rib injury, may mean Backlund could get the call to travel to Sochi to compete for his country.
Backlund is expected to find out tomorrow whether he gets chosen as a replacement or not.
“We’ll see what happens. I don’t expect to go but if I get the call, I’m obviously going,” said Backlund, as per Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun.
He added: “Personally, if I don’t get picked tomorrow, it doesn’t matter. Well, I mean, I want to go.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)