Feb 7, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
Finland’s hopes of winning a medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics may have been ruined.
According to Michael Russo of the Star Tribune, Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu will not be headed to the Olympics after not being cleared to play following ankle surgery on Jan. 6. He’s expected to make that official at an announcement at 2 p.m. ET.
Koivu was injured against the Washington Capitals on January 5 and had surgery the next day so as to attempt to be back in time to play in the Olympics. That won’t be the case, however, as he hasn’t resumed playing yet and has only been skating recently with the Wild.
Koivu joins Tampa Bay Lightning forward Valtteri Filppula on Finland’s injured list. It was announced earlier today that Filppula wouldn’t be headed to Sochi after suffering a non-displaced fracture in his ankle against the Toronto Maple Leafs last night.
Without Koivu and Filppula, the Finns are down to Winnipeg Jets center Olli Jokinen and Wild center Mikael Granlund as their top two pivots. That makes for a dicey situation for a team that was believed to be a medal threat at the Olympics. Finland opens in Group B with Austria, Canada, and Norway.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)