Feb 7, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Finland’s hopes of winning a medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics may have been ruined.
According to Michael Russo of the Star Tribune, Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu will not be headed to the Olympics after not being cleared to play following ankle surgery on Jan. 6. He’s expected to make that official at an announcement at 2 p.m. ET.
Koivu was injured against the Washington Capitals on January 5 and had surgery the next day so as to attempt to be back in time to play in the Olympics. That won’t be the case, however, as he hasn’t resumed playing yet and has only been skating recently with the Wild.
Koivu joins Tampa Bay Lightning forward Valtteri Filppula on Finland’s injured list. It was announced earlier today that Filppula wouldn’t be headed to Sochi after suffering a non-displaced fracture in his ankle against the Toronto Maple Leafs last night.
Without Koivu and Filppula, the Finns are down to Winnipeg Jets center Olli Jokinen and Wild center Mikael Granlund as their top two pivots. That makes for a dicey situation for a team that was believed to be a medal threat at the Olympics. Finland opens in Group B with Austria, Canada, and Norway.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)