Feb 7, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
The silver lining for the Lightning is that this occurred right before the Olympic break and his timetable suggests that he should be available in three weeks, so he might not end up missing many NHL games. This has to be a tough pill for Filppula to swallow though as he was just days away from representing Finland in the 2014 Winter Games.
Filppula was part of Finland’s bronze medal run in 2010 and contributed three goals in six games. Since then he’s emerged as a strong top-six forward and most recently has been a big part of the Lightning’s success during Steven Stamkos‘ absence.
Filppula has 20 goals and 41 points in 56 contests in 2013-14.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)