Feb 7, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Florida goalie Tim Thomas didn’t last long into Friday’s start against Carolina, as he was yanked after allowing four goals on 14 shots in the opening 25 minutes of action.
It marked the first time the 39-year-old had been pulled since allowing four goals on 13 shots in an eventual 5-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Nov. 30.
The ugliness started early for Thomas and the Panthers tonight, as Riley Nash scored his eighth of the season at the 9:17 mark. Just over a minute later, Alex Semin made it 2-0 with his 14th of the year.
Nick Bjugstad and Brett Bellemore exchanged tallies to make it 3-1 Carolina at the end of the period, but the ‘Canes kept pressing early in the second and were rewarded just 4:36 in as Jiri Tlustly scored his ninth of the campaign.
That was it for Thomas. He was relieved by backup Scott Clemmensen, making his first appearance since Jan. 30.
The Panthers have not been playing well lately — they lost four of five coming into tonight, allowing 20 goals — and one wonders if Thomas could be moved when the NHL roster freeze is lifted after the Olympic break.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)