Feb 7, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Florida goalie Tim Thomas didn’t last long into Friday’s start against Carolina, as he was yanked after allowing four goals on 14 shots in the opening 25 minutes of action.
It marked the first time the 39-year-old had been pulled since allowing four goals on 13 shots in an eventual 5-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Nov. 30.
The ugliness started early for Thomas and the Panthers tonight, as Riley Nash scored his eighth of the season at the 9:17 mark. Just over a minute later, Alex Semin made it 2-0 with his 14th of the year.
Nick Bjugstad and Brett Bellemore exchanged tallies to make it 3-1 Carolina at the end of the period, but the ‘Canes kept pressing early in the second and were rewarded just 4:36 in as Jiri Tlustly scored his ninth of the campaign.
That was it for Thomas. He was relieved by backup Scott Clemmensen, making his first appearance since Jan. 30.
The Panthers have not been playing well lately — they lost four of five coming into tonight, allowing 20 goals — and one wonders if Thomas could be moved when the NHL roster freeze is lifted after the Olympic break.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)