Feb 7, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Florida goalie Tim Thomas didn’t last long into Friday’s start against Carolina, as he was yanked after allowing four goals on 14 shots in the opening 25 minutes of action.
It marked the first time the 39-year-old had been pulled since allowing four goals on 13 shots in an eventual 5-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Nov. 30.
The ugliness started early for Thomas and the Panthers tonight, as Riley Nash scored his eighth of the season at the 9:17 mark. Just over a minute later, Alex Semin made it 2-0 with his 14th of the year.
Nick Bjugstad and Brett Bellemore exchanged tallies to make it 3-1 Carolina at the end of the period, but the ‘Canes kept pressing early in the second and were rewarded just 4:36 in as Jiri Tlustly scored his ninth of the campaign.
That was it for Thomas. He was relieved by backup Scott Clemmensen, making his first appearance since Jan. 30.
The Panthers have not been playing well lately — they lost four of five coming into tonight, allowing 20 goals — and one wonders if Thomas could be moved when the NHL roster freeze is lifted after the Olympic break.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)