Feb 7, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Brown was handed a minor penalty for charging after he caught the Blue Jackets blue liner with a hit that appeared to be to the head, as Murray was reaching forward to play the puck during the second period of Thursday’s game between the two clubs. Murray was almost completely on his knees at the point of contact.
“It’s a fine hit…At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore,” said Brown, as per Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider.
“It’s just one of those plays where he kind of bails, and I’m coming in for the hit,” he added.
The Blue Jackets, who came out of this game with a 2-1 overtime loss, disagree with Brown’s assertion of the play.
“The way I saw it, our player was vulnerable … primary point of contact was the head,” said Blue Jackets’ head coach Todd Richards, as per Rob Mixer. “It’s a forearm to the chin. And the player (Brown) has done it before.”
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)