Feb 7, 2014, 1:56 AM EST
Brown was handed a minor penalty for charging after he caught the Blue Jackets blue liner with a hit that appeared to be to the head, as Murray was reaching forward to play the puck during the second period of Thursday’s game between the two clubs. Murray was almost completely on his knees at the point of contact.
“It’s a fine hit…At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore,” said Brown, as per Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider.
“It’s just one of those plays where he kind of bails, and I’m coming in for the hit,” he added.
The Blue Jackets, who came out of this game with a 2-1 overtime loss, disagree with Brown’s assertion of the play.
“The way I saw it, our player was vulnerable … primary point of contact was the head,” said Blue Jackets’ head coach Todd Richards, as per Rob Mixer. “It’s a forearm to the chin. And the player (Brown) has done it before.”
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 25
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7