Feb 6, 2014, 1:43 AM EDT
Tommy Wingels let the play develop, then made no mistake when he got the one shot he needed.
Wingels scored the winning goal for the San Jose Sharks in a 2-1 overtime victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday, snapping a shot past Kari Lehtonen off a nice set up from Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring.
The Stars get the single point and move to within one point of the struggling Vancouver Canucks for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Wingels goal made up for a lost opportunity for the Sharks to win the game in regulation. They had a pair of late third-period power plays – actually they had three of the four man advantages on the evening – but failed to convert.
In fact, they managed only one shot on goal combined over three power plays. It’s been a recent sore spot of late.
San Jose left winger Matt Nieto left the game in the second period and did not play another shift. As per Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, Nieto was seen afterward with his left foot in a walking boot, the result of blocking a Trevor Daley slap shot.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)