Feb 6, 2014, 1:43 AM EDT
Tommy Wingels let the play develop, then made no mistake when he got the one shot he needed.
Wingels scored the winning goal for the San Jose Sharks in a 2-1 overtime victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday, snapping a shot past Kari Lehtonen off a nice set up from Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring.
The Stars get the single point and move to within one point of the struggling Vancouver Canucks for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Wingels goal made up for a lost opportunity for the Sharks to win the game in regulation. They had a pair of late third-period power plays – actually they had three of the four man advantages on the evening – but failed to convert.
In fact, they managed only one shot on goal combined over three power plays. It’s been a recent sore spot of late.
San Jose left winger Matt Nieto left the game in the second period and did not play another shift. As per Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, Nieto was seen afterward with his left foot in a walking boot, the result of blocking a Trevor Daley slap shot.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)