Feb 6, 2014, 1:43 AM EST
Tommy Wingels let the play develop, then made no mistake when he got the one shot he needed.
Wingels scored the winning goal for the San Jose Sharks in a 2-1 overtime victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday, snapping a shot past Kari Lehtonen off a nice set up from Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring.
The Stars get the single point and move to within one point of the struggling Vancouver Canucks for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Wingels goal made up for a lost opportunity for the Sharks to win the game in regulation. They had a pair of late third-period power plays – actually they had three of the four man advantages on the evening – but failed to convert.
In fact, they managed only one shot on goal combined over three power plays. It’s been a recent sore spot of late.
San Jose left winger Matt Nieto left the game in the second period and did not play another shift. As per Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, Nieto was seen afterward with his left foot in a walking boot, the result of blocking a Trevor Daley slap shot.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)