Feb 6, 2014, 1:43 AM EDT
Tommy Wingels let the play develop, then made no mistake when he got the one shot he needed.
Wingels scored the winning goal for the San Jose Sharks in a 2-1 overtime victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday, snapping a shot past Kari Lehtonen off a nice set up from Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring.
The Stars get the single point and move to within one point of the struggling Vancouver Canucks for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Wingels goal made up for a lost opportunity for the Sharks to win the game in regulation. They had a pair of late third-period power plays – actually they had three of the four man advantages on the evening – but failed to convert.
In fact, they managed only one shot on goal combined over three power plays. It’s been a recent sore spot of late.
San Jose left winger Matt Nieto left the game in the second period and did not play another shift. As per Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, Nieto was seen afterward with his left foot in a walking boot, the result of blocking a Trevor Daley slap shot.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 16
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)