Feb 6, 2014, 1:43 AM EDT
Tommy Wingels let the play develop, then made no mistake when he got the one shot he needed.
Wingels scored the winning goal for the San Jose Sharks in a 2-1 overtime victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday, snapping a shot past Kari Lehtonen off a nice set up from Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring.
The Stars get the single point and move to within one point of the struggling Vancouver Canucks for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Wingels goal made up for a lost opportunity for the Sharks to win the game in regulation. They had a pair of late third-period power plays – actually they had three of the four man advantages on the evening – but failed to convert.
In fact, they managed only one shot on goal combined over three power plays. It’s been a recent sore spot of late.
San Jose left winger Matt Nieto left the game in the second period and did not play another shift. As per Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, Nieto was seen afterward with his left foot in a walking boot, the result of blocking a Trevor Daley slap shot.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)