Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
Ovi’s back to scoring 40.
On Thursday night, Washington captain Alex Ovechkin scored his 40th goal of the year — in his 54th game, no less — becoming the NHL’s first 40-goal man this season and marking the first time he’s hit the plateau since scoring 50 during the 2009-10 campaign:
Here are Ovechkin’s goal totals over the last four years:
2010-11: 32 in 79 games
2011-12: 38 in 78 games
2013: 32 in 48 games (lockout-shortened campaign)
With tonight’s goal, Ovechkin became the first player in the NHL this season to hit 40 goals, putting him 10 clear of Toronto’s Phil Kessel (who sits in second, with 30 tallies).
Goal No. 40 was also Ovechkin’s second in his last five games, putting him on pace for a potential 60-goal campaign… which would be a real plateau for the Russian sniper to reach. Ovechkin has just one 60-goal campaign in his career, and it came during his third year in the NHL when he scored 65 (and notched a career-high 112 points).
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 23
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 132
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 24
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (132)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)