Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
Ovi’s back to scoring 40.
On Thursday night, Washington captain Alex Ovechkin scored his 40th goal of the year — in his 54th game, no less — becoming the NHL’s first 40-goal man this season and marking the first time he’s hit the plateau since scoring 50 during the 2009-10 campaign:
Here are Ovechkin’s goal totals over the last four years:
2010-11: 32 in 79 games
2011-12: 38 in 78 games
2013: 32 in 48 games (lockout-shortened campaign)
With tonight’s goal, Ovechkin became the first player in the NHL this season to hit 40 goals, putting him 10 clear of Toronto’s Phil Kessel (who sits in second, with 30 tallies).
Goal No. 40 was also Ovechkin’s second in his last five games, putting him on pace for a potential 60-goal campaign… which would be a real plateau for the Russian sniper to reach. Ovechkin has just one 60-goal campaign in his career, and it came during his third year in the NHL when he scored 65 (and notched a career-high 112 points).
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)