Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
Ovi’s back to scoring 40.
On Thursday night, Washington captain Alex Ovechkin scored his 40th goal of the year — in his 54th game, no less — becoming the NHL’s first 40-goal man this season and marking the first time he’s hit the plateau since scoring 50 during the 2009-10 campaign:
Here are Ovechkin’s goal totals over the last four years:
2010-11: 32 in 79 games
2011-12: 38 in 78 games
2013: 32 in 48 games (lockout-shortened campaign)
With tonight’s goal, Ovechkin became the first player in the NHL this season to hit 40 goals, putting him 10 clear of Toronto’s Phil Kessel (who sits in second, with 30 tallies).
Goal No. 40 was also Ovechkin’s second in his last five games, putting him on pace for a potential 60-goal campaign… which would be a real plateau for the Russian sniper to reach. Ovechkin has just one 60-goal campaign in his career, and it came during his third year in the NHL when he scored 65 (and notched a career-high 112 points).
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 15
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)