Feb 6, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
And suddenly, no more quiet night. Prior the melee, which occurred with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, there had been only one penalty called. The Leafs went on to win the game by a final score of 4-1, thanks to three third-period goals.
This incident began when Brown, charging hard to the net, ran over Bernier in the crease. The collision knocked the net off and incensed the Leafs, with Tim Gleason stepping in. Bernier got up and got involved in the scrum, which led to Cedrick Desjardins coming the length of the ice to try and get involved.
“The kid put his head down, puck in his feet & went to the net & we’re going to take care of issues like that,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per Mark Masters of TSN.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)