Feb 6, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
And suddenly, no more quiet night. Prior the melee, which occurred with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, there had been only one penalty called. The Leafs went on to win the game by a final score of 4-1, thanks to three third-period goals.
This incident began when Brown, charging hard to the net, ran over Bernier in the crease. The collision knocked the net off and incensed the Leafs, with Tim Gleason stepping in. Bernier got up and got involved in the scrum, which led to Cedrick Desjardins coming the length of the ice to try and get involved.
“The kid put his head down, puck in his feet & went to the net & we’re going to take care of issues like that,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per Mark Masters of TSN.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)