Feb 6, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
And suddenly, no more quiet night. Prior the melee, which occurred with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, there had been only one penalty called. The Leafs went on to win the game by a final score of 4-1, thanks to three third-period goals.
This incident began when Brown, charging hard to the net, ran over Bernier in the crease. The collision knocked the net off and incensed the Leafs, with Tim Gleason stepping in. Bernier got up and got involved in the scrum, which led to Cedrick Desjardins coming the length of the ice to try and get involved.
“The kid put his head down, puck in his feet & went to the net & we’re going to take care of issues like that,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per Mark Masters of TSN.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 26
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50