Feb 6, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
And suddenly, no more quiet night. Prior the melee, which occurred with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, there had been only one penalty called. The Leafs went on to win the game by a final score of 4-1, thanks to three third-period goals.
This incident began when Brown, charging hard to the net, ran over Bernier in the crease. The collision knocked the net off and incensed the Leafs, with Tim Gleason stepping in. Bernier got up and got involved in the scrum, which led to Cedrick Desjardins coming the length of the ice to try and get involved.
“The kid put his head down, puck in his feet & went to the net & we’re going to take care of issues like that,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per Mark Masters of TSN.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10