Feb 6, 2014, 6:56 AM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Who will replace Steven Stamkos on Team Canada’s Olympic roster? Hockey Canada executive Brad Pascall couldn’t answer that question Thursday afternoon in Sochi, but he did say the aim was to name a player in the next 48 hours.
The announcement could come sooner. NHL players are scheduled to leave North America on charters for Russia on Sunday, so whether it’s Martin St. Louis, Claude Giroux, James Neal, or another player, time is limited for Canada’s management group, led by Steve Yzerman, and coaching staff, headed up by Mike Babcock, to make the call.
“We have a wealth of talent, and we’re disappointed that Steven’s not able to play, but we’re confident that whoever would replace him would be a great addition to our team,” said Pascall.
Reporters desperate for some sort of hint asked how much a player’s recent performance could factor into the decision. Pascall replied that a player’s overall “body of work” will be considered, but “we want hot players coming in as well.”
Of course, St. Louis, Giroux, and Neal have all been productive the past month, so it’s hard to predict anything by that.
Canada opens the men’s tournament next Thursday versus Norway. The team’s first practice is scheduled for Monday.
Stamkos was ruled out of the Olympics on Wednesday after doctors determined his broken tibia had not completely healed.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 4
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 19
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 56
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (56)