Feb 6, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
SOCHI, Russia — Who will replace Steven Stamkos on Team Canada’s Olympic roster? Hockey Canada executive Brad Pascall couldn’t answer that question Thursday afternoon in Sochi, but he did say the aim was to name a player in the next 48 hours.
The announcement could come sooner. NHL players are scheduled to leave North America on charters for Russia on Sunday, so whether it’s Martin St. Louis, Claude Giroux, James Neal, or another player, time is limited for Canada’s management group, led by Steve Yzerman, and coaching staff, headed up by Mike Babcock, to make the call.
“We have a wealth of talent, and we’re disappointed that Steven’s not able to play, but we’re confident that whoever would replace him would be a great addition to our team,” said Pascall.
Reporters desperate for some sort of hint asked how much a player’s recent performance could factor into the decision. Pascall replied that a player’s overall “body of work” will be considered, but “we want hot players coming in as well.”
Of course, St. Louis, Giroux, and Neal have all been productive the past month, so it’s hard to predict anything by that.
Canada opens the men’s tournament next Thursday versus Norway. The team’s first practice is scheduled for Monday.
Stamkos was ruled out of the Olympics on Wednesday after doctors determined his broken tibia had not completely healed.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)