Feb 6, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
SOCHI, Russia — Who will replace Steven Stamkos on Team Canada’s Olympic roster? Hockey Canada executive Brad Pascall couldn’t answer that question Thursday afternoon in Sochi, but he did say the aim was to name a player in the next 48 hours.
The announcement could come sooner. NHL players are scheduled to leave North America on charters for Russia on Sunday, so whether it’s Martin St. Louis, Claude Giroux, James Neal, or another player, time is limited for Canada’s management group, led by Steve Yzerman, and coaching staff, headed up by Mike Babcock, to make the call.
“We have a wealth of talent, and we’re disappointed that Steven’s not able to play, but we’re confident that whoever would replace him would be a great addition to our team,” said Pascall.
Reporters desperate for some sort of hint asked how much a player’s recent performance could factor into the decision. Pascall replied that a player’s overall “body of work” will be considered, but “we want hot players coming in as well.”
Of course, St. Louis, Giroux, and Neal have all been productive the past month, so it’s hard to predict anything by that.
Canada opens the men’s tournament next Thursday versus Norway. The team’s first practice is scheduled for Monday.
Stamkos was ruled out of the Olympics on Wednesday after doctors determined his broken tibia had not completely healed.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 69
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 54
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)