Feb 6, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
On Monday, we passed along a report of Los Angeles having interest in Oilers forward Sam Gagner.
Four days later, it appears both sides are working towards making a deal.
Reports from TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun claim the Oilers and Kings are currently discussing a trade, one that would send Gagner to Hollywood and (hopefully, for the Kings’ sake) address L.A.’s goalscoring woes.
One of the names in play as to who might be involved on the Kings’ end — according to McKenzie — is left winger Kyle Clifford.
What’s notable in this potential deal is that neither player is a pending free agent. Gagner, 24, is in the first year of a three-year deal he signed last summer with an annual salary of $4.8 million.
Clifford, 23, has one year remaining on a two-year deal worth $1.075 million per season. He is a restricted free agent at the end of next season. Due to the Kings’ salary cap constraints, speculation is that the Oilers may be forced to retain some salary.
Gagner would be a good offensive upgrade for the Kings. He missed extensive time at the start of the season with a broken jaw and has just 23 points through 45 games, but did finish second on the Oilers in scoring during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, with 38 points in 48 games.
As mentioned, the Kings need to improve offensively. They’ve scored just six times in their last seven games — three coming in Monday’s 5-3 loss to Chicago — and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game. (Only Buffalo scores less.) Getting Gagner would be a boon as he can play wing (right wing, specifically) and could inject some offense, much like Jeff Cater did upon being acquired from Columbus at the ’12 trade deadline.
The Oilers and Kings do have a history of deadline dealing. L.A. acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton at the ’11 deadline. They also combined on a trade earlier this season, as L.A. sent goalie Ben Scrivens to Edmonton for a third-round draft pick.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)