Feb 6, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
On Monday, we passed along a report of Los Angeles having interest in Oilers forward Sam Gagner.
Four days later, it appears both sides are working towards making a deal.
Reports from TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun claim the Oilers and Kings are currently discussing a trade, one that would send Gagner to Hollywood and (hopefully, for the Kings’ sake) address L.A.’s goalscoring woes.
One of the names in play as to who might be involved on the Kings’ end — according to McKenzie — is left winger Kyle Clifford.
What’s notable in this potential deal is that neither player is a pending free agent. Gagner, 24, is in the first year of a three-year deal he signed last summer with an annual salary of $4.8 million.
Clifford, 23, has one year remaining on a two-year deal worth $1.075 million per season. He is a restricted free agent at the end of next season. Due to the Kings’ salary cap constraints, speculation is that the Oilers may be forced to retain some salary.
Gagner would be a good offensive upgrade for the Kings. He missed extensive time at the start of the season with a broken jaw and has just 23 points through 45 games, but did finish second on the Oilers in scoring during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, with 38 points in 48 games.
As mentioned, the Kings need to improve offensively. They’ve scored just six times in their last seven games — three coming in Monday’s 5-3 loss to Chicago — and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game. (Only Buffalo scores less.) Getting Gagner would be a boon as he can play wing (right wing, specifically) and could inject some offense, much like Jeff Cater did upon being acquired from Columbus at the ’12 trade deadline.
The Oilers and Kings do have a history of deadline dealing. L.A. acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton at the ’11 deadline. They also combined on a trade earlier this season, as L.A. sent goalie Ben Scrivens to Edmonton for a third-round draft pick.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)