Feb 6, 2014, 1:39 PM EST
On Monday, we passed along a report of Los Angeles having interest in Oilers forward Sam Gagner.
Four days later, it appears both sides are working towards making a deal.
Reports from TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun claim the Oilers and Kings are currently discussing a trade, one that would send Gagner to Hollywood and (hopefully, for the Kings’ sake) address L.A.’s goalscoring woes.
One of the names in play as to who might be involved on the Kings’ end — according to McKenzie — is left winger Kyle Clifford.
What’s notable in this potential deal is that neither player is a pending free agent. Gagner, 24, is in the first year of a three-year deal he signed last summer with an annual salary of $4.8 million.
Clifford, 23, has one year remaining on a two-year deal worth $1.075 million per season. He is a restricted free agent at the end of next season. Due to the Kings’ salary cap constraints, speculation is that the Oilers may be forced to retain some salary.
Gagner would be a good offensive upgrade for the Kings. He missed extensive time at the start of the season with a broken jaw and has just 23 points through 45 games, but did finish second on the Oilers in scoring during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, with 38 points in 48 games.
As mentioned, the Kings need to improve offensively. They’ve scored just six times in their last seven games — three coming in Monday’s 5-3 loss to Chicago — and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game. (Only Buffalo scores less.) Getting Gagner would be a boon as he can play wing (right wing, specifically) and could inject some offense, much like Jeff Cater did upon being acquired from Columbus at the ’12 trade deadline.
The Oilers and Kings do have a history of deadline dealing. L.A. acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton at the ’11 deadline. They also combined on a trade earlier this season, as L.A. sent goalie Ben Scrivens to Edmonton for a third-round draft pick.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)