Feb 6, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Online oddsmaker Bovada has released the odds on which forward will replace Canada’s Steve Stamkos at the Winter Olympics in Sochi — and it’s Stamkos’ running mate in Tampa Bay, Martin St. Louis, who tops the list.
St. Louis is listed at -400, followed by Carolina captain Eric Staal (+300), Philly captain Claude Giroux (+600) and Pittsburgh forward James Neal (+750). St. Louis represented Canada at the 2006 Winter Games in Turin and was on the team’s stand-by list in 2010.
The 38-year-old veteran has been on fire since first being omitted from the Canadian squad last month. St. Louis had eight goals and 15 points in 15 games during the month of January, highlighted by a four-goal performance against San Jose on Jan. 18.
Stamkos was ruled out of action yesterday after the Lightning’s medical staff declared his broken leg wasn’t fully healed. Hockey Canada has announced that Stamkos’ replacement will be named within the next 48 hours, and the team opens up the Olympic tournament on Feb. 13 with a game against Norway.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)