Feb 6, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Todd McLellan will further etch his name in San Jose Sharks history tomorrow night.
McLellan will coach the 435th game of his Sharks career against Columbus on Friday, moving him past Darryl Sutter for the most in franchise history. McLellan is already the franchise’s leader in wins (256), winning percentage (.590) and points percentage (.652).
Here’s more, from the Sharks:
In his first four seasons as an NHL head coach (2008-2012), McLellan notched more wins than any other coach in League history (195). He posted the second-most wins (236) in his first 400 games of any NHL coach in League history (Bruce Boudreau, 238) and was the second-fastest coach in NHL history to reach 250 wins (424 games, behind Boudreau; 416 games). Furthermore, he became the second-fastest NHL coach to win 200 games.
In his first season as an NHL head coach (2008-09), McLellan was named as a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy and became just the sixth rookie NHL coach (and first since 1990) to lead his team to the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall regular season record (53-18-11).
McLellan has also taken the Sharks to a pair of Western Conference finals (2010 and ’11) but has just a 27-28 overall record in postseason play.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)