Feb 6, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Todd McLellan will further etch his name in San Jose Sharks history tomorrow night.
McLellan will coach the 435th game of his Sharks career against Columbus on Friday, moving him past Darryl Sutter for the most in franchise history. McLellan is already the franchise’s leader in wins (256), winning percentage (.590) and points percentage (.652).
Here’s more, from the Sharks:
In his first four seasons as an NHL head coach (2008-2012), McLellan notched more wins than any other coach in League history (195). He posted the second-most wins (236) in his first 400 games of any NHL coach in League history (Bruce Boudreau, 238) and was the second-fastest coach in NHL history to reach 250 wins (424 games, behind Boudreau; 416 games). Furthermore, he became the second-fastest NHL coach to win 200 games.
In his first season as an NHL head coach (2008-09), McLellan was named as a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy and became just the sixth rookie NHL coach (and first since 1990) to lead his team to the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall regular season record (53-18-11).
McLellan has also taken the Sharks to a pair of Western Conference finals (2010 and ’11) but has just a 27-28 overall record in postseason play.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)