Feb 6, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Todd McLellan will further etch his name in San Jose Sharks history tomorrow night.
McLellan will coach the 435th game of his Sharks career against Columbus on Friday, moving him past Darryl Sutter for the most in franchise history. McLellan is already the franchise’s leader in wins (256), winning percentage (.590) and points percentage (.652).
Here’s more, from the Sharks:
In his first four seasons as an NHL head coach (2008-2012), McLellan notched more wins than any other coach in League history (195). He posted the second-most wins (236) in his first 400 games of any NHL coach in League history (Bruce Boudreau, 238) and was the second-fastest coach in NHL history to reach 250 wins (424 games, behind Boudreau; 416 games). Furthermore, he became the second-fastest NHL coach to win 200 games.
In his first season as an NHL head coach (2008-09), McLellan was named as a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy and became just the sixth rookie NHL coach (and first since 1990) to lead his team to the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall regular season record (53-18-11).
McLellan has also taken the Sharks to a pair of Western Conference finals (2010 and ’11) but has just a 27-28 overall record in postseason play.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)