Feb 6, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Todd McLellan will further etch his name in San Jose Sharks history tomorrow night.
McLellan will coach the 435th game of his Sharks career against Columbus on Friday, moving him past Darryl Sutter for the most in franchise history. McLellan is already the franchise’s leader in wins (256), winning percentage (.590) and points percentage (.652).
Here’s more, from the Sharks:
In his first four seasons as an NHL head coach (2008-2012), McLellan notched more wins than any other coach in League history (195). He posted the second-most wins (236) in his first 400 games of any NHL coach in League history (Bruce Boudreau, 238) and was the second-fastest coach in NHL history to reach 250 wins (424 games, behind Boudreau; 416 games). Furthermore, he became the second-fastest NHL coach to win 200 games.
In his first season as an NHL head coach (2008-09), McLellan was named as a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy and became just the sixth rookie NHL coach (and first since 1990) to lead his team to the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall regular season record (53-18-11).
McLellan has also taken the Sharks to a pair of Western Conference finals (2010 and ’11) but has just a 27-28 overall record in postseason play.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)