Feb 6, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Todd McLellan will further etch his name in San Jose Sharks history tomorrow night.
McLellan will coach the 435th game of his Sharks career against Columbus on Friday, moving him past Darryl Sutter for the most in franchise history. McLellan is already the franchise’s leader in wins (256), winning percentage (.590) and points percentage (.652).
Here’s more, from the Sharks:
In his first four seasons as an NHL head coach (2008-2012), McLellan notched more wins than any other coach in League history (195). He posted the second-most wins (236) in his first 400 games of any NHL coach in League history (Bruce Boudreau, 238) and was the second-fastest coach in NHL history to reach 250 wins (424 games, behind Boudreau; 416 games). Furthermore, he became the second-fastest NHL coach to win 200 games.
In his first season as an NHL head coach (2008-09), McLellan was named as a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy and became just the sixth rookie NHL coach (and first since 1990) to lead his team to the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall regular season record (53-18-11).
McLellan has also taken the Sharks to a pair of Western Conference finals (2010 and ’11) but has just a 27-28 overall record in postseason play.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)