Feb 6, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Kris Letang’s mystery illness is not believed life threatening, but the Penguins are not sure when he will play again this season, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review.
The team planned to update Letang’s condition Friday.
There were concerns last week that Letang’s season — if not his career — could be in jeopardy because of the illness, the sources said.
Letang, a defenseman, has not taken the ice since Jan. 30, when he practiced but did not play at Los Angeles. He will not play against the New York Rangers at Consol Energy Center on Friday — the Penguins’ final game before the NHL’s Olympic break.
“There will be no update on Kris Letang until we have further update on his condition,” coach Dan Bylsma said Thursday.
The 26-year-old hasn’t played since Jan. 27 in a 3-0 defeat of Buffalo. Last week, Bylsma said the team didn’t know what was plaguing last year’s Norris finalist, adding that Letang was undergoing tests and evaluations to figure it out.
This has been an extremely difficult season for Letang’s health. He missed nine games at the start of the year with a knee injury, then another 10 with what was believed to be an elbow issue.
All told, Letang has appeared in just 34 games for Pittsburgh this season, scoring 10 goals and 18 points.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)