Feb 6, 2014, 11:47 PM EDT
Kris Letang’s mystery illness is not believed life threatening, but the Penguins are not sure when he will play again this season, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review.
The team planned to update Letang’s condition Friday.
There were concerns last week that Letang’s season — if not his career — could be in jeopardy because of the illness, the sources said.
Letang, a defenseman, has not taken the ice since Jan. 30, when he practiced but did not play at Los Angeles. He will not play against the New York Rangers at Consol Energy Center on Friday — the Penguins’ final game before the NHL’s Olympic break.
“There will be no update on Kris Letang until we have further update on his condition,” coach Dan Bylsma said Thursday.
The 26-year-old hasn’t played since Jan. 27 in a 3-0 defeat of Buffalo. Last week, Bylsma said the team didn’t know what was plaguing last year’s Norris finalist, adding that Letang was undergoing tests and evaluations to figure it out.
This has been an extremely difficult season for Letang’s health. He missed nine games at the start of the year with a knee injury, then another 10 with what was believed to be an elbow issue.
All told, Letang has appeared in just 34 games for Pittsburgh this season, scoring 10 goals and 18 points.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)