Feb 6, 2014, 12:06 AM EST
The men’s Olympic hockey competition is vastly approaching, and still there has been no decision about whether Mikko Koivu will play for Finland in Sochi.
It’s about the same as it was three days ago, as Koivu looks to come back from an ankle injury that has kept him out of the Minnesota Wild lineup since Jan. 4.
That said, it doesn’t sound as if there is much optimism about the possibility of the 30-year-old Koivu going to Sochi.
“Mikko’s doing everything he can to come back,” Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
“It’s a six-to-eight-week injury that we’re trying to accelerate and have him come back in five, but not only is he not cleared to play right now, he’s not even cleared to practice with the team.
“There’s a lot of healing and work that needs to be done to get him to that position. If we can get him there, great, but I think people need to understand how hard he’s working to get healthy and come back.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)