Feb 6, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Flyers captain Claude Giroux was passed over for Team Canada for a second time on Thursday — the spot vacated by Steve Stamkos‘ injury went to Martin St. Louis — but to hear Giroux explain it, he never even allowed himself to think he was in the running.
“I didn’t give myself hope,” Giroux said, per the Courier-Post. “I didn’t want to be disappointed again.”
Giroux, 26, was clearly disappointed after his name wasn’t called during the original Team Canada roster announcement on Jan. 7. He was one of the most notable forwards left off the list — along with St. Louis, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal and James Neal — and told CSN Philly it was tough hearing the news.
“I’m disappointed but not upset or mad. It’s tough, tough today,” he explained. “In my mind I wanted to make the team. Like I said, it is disappointing.”
Giroux was thought to be on a shortlist to replace Stamkos and, based on his play of late, figured to garner heavy consideration for a spot in Sochi. Giroux has 17 points in 15 games since being left off and has played some tremendous hockey over the last two months. According to CSN Philly, no player in the NHL has more points than Giroux (30) since Dec. 17.
In the end, though, Hockey Canada opted for a more veteran presence with international experience. St. Louis represented Canada at the 2006 Winter Games in Turin and was on the stand-by list for the ’10 games in Vancouver. St. Louis also has a rather unique relationship with Team Canada GM Steve Yzerman, who serves as the GM in Tampa and was under heavy scrutiny after leaving St. Louis off the Canadian team on Jan. 7.
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)