Feb 6, 2014, 10:40 PM EST
Giroux, along with Martin St. Louis, were believed to be the two frontrunners to be named as the single replacement for the injured Steven Stamkos, who will not be competing for Canada in Sochi because his broken tibia hasn’t fully healed yet. That decision was officially made on Wednesday.
On Thursday, St. Louis was named as that replacement. He’ll return to the Olympics, having competed for Canada in 2006.
Giroux was snubbed once again. Snider let his thoughts be known Thursday evening, as the Flyers defeated the Colorado Avalanche. Giroux scored his 19th goal of the season – into an empty net.
As per Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post, Snider said Giroux is “…better than half the guys” on Team Canada.
“Anybody that thinks that Claude Giroux doesn’t belong on the Canadian Olympic team, they don’t know anything about hockey,” said Snider.
He continued: “…as far as I’m concerned. It’s politics to a certain degree. He had to pick his own guy. His guy’s good, but Claude’s better.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)