Feb 6, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Giroux, along with Martin St. Louis, were believed to be the two frontrunners to be named as the single replacement for the injured Steven Stamkos, who will not be competing for Canada in Sochi because his broken tibia hasn’t fully healed yet. That decision was officially made on Wednesday.
On Thursday, St. Louis was named as that replacement. He’ll return to the Olympics, having competed for Canada in 2006.
Giroux was snubbed once again. Snider let his thoughts be known Thursday evening, as the Flyers defeated the Colorado Avalanche. Giroux scored his 19th goal of the season – into an empty net.
As per Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post, Snider said Giroux is “…better than half the guys” on Team Canada.
“Anybody that thinks that Claude Giroux doesn’t belong on the Canadian Olympic team, they don’t know anything about hockey,” said Snider.
He continued: “…as far as I’m concerned. It’s politics to a certain degree. He had to pick his own guy. His guy’s good, but Claude’s better.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)